System recovery
None

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Agree, but I would add a Disk Imaging BackUp solution (Macrium Free or OEMEI BackUpper), also running backups of important data to external devices.

As for "Virus and Malware Removal Tools" -> Ctrl+Alt+Del: are You kidding? :emoji_popcorn::unsure: I would add ZAM Free and MalWareBytes 4 Windows Free.

Since You are a simple PC user, also I would add a PassWord Manager.

Thanks for sharing Your config :giggle:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
On demand scanners: ZAM Free & Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Chrome Extensions: Privacy Possum, Malwarebytes, Decentraleyes, Scriptsafe, Cookie Autodelete & Netcraft
Backup: Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper
Privacy: Sandboxie & Windscribe Free VPN
Security: Syshardener & VoodooShield or OSArmor

~LDogg

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
"Ctrl+Alt+Del": do you consider built-in Task Manager as on-demand scanner? Is this a joke? It doesn't even have a VT scanner of running processes, so it's not really helpful for beginners to identify malicious processes.

You can add ZAM Free and EEK or NPE.

Add HTTPS Everywhere.

Follow suggestions about backups.

Thanks for sharing.

Majiturf

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 5, 2018
Agree, but I would add a Disk Imaging BackUp solution (Macrium Free or OEMEI BackUpper), also running backups of important data to external devices.

As for "Virus and Malware Removal Tools" -> Ctrl+Alt+Del: are You kidding? :emoji_popcorn::unsure: I would add ZAM Free and MalWareBytes 4 Windows Free.

Since You are a simple PC user, also I would add a PassWord Manager.

Thanks for sharing Your config :giggle:
"Ctrl+Alt+Del": do you consider built-in Task Manager as on-demand scanner? Is this a joke? It doesn't even have a VT scanner of running processes, so it's not really helpful for beginners to identify malicious processes.

You can add ZAM Free and EEK or NPE.

Add HTTPS Everywhere.

Follow suggestions about backups.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the recommendation guys.

What I mean by Ctrl + alt + del is that. If I find my PC infected which is very rare, I can just lookup the processes running and if I find some fishy ones like without any publisher information or something similar, I just google them. Then close the infected process and run an on demand scanner. Usually this method works fine for me. Since most of my digital content that I consume comes from web I rarely get infected.

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Thanks for the recommendation guys.

What I mean by Ctrl + alt + del is that. If I find my PC infected which is very rare, I can just lookup the processes running and if I find some fishy ones like without any publisher information or something similar, I just google them. Then close the infected process and run an on demand scanner. Usually this method works fine for me. Since most of my digital content that I consume comes from web I rarely get infected.
I made a thread on MT some time ago about that. It is a good method to verify if a PC is infected, but it cannot be considered as an on-demand scanner. Also I would use a more complete tool like Process Explorer because of VirusTotal ratios of running processes, etc. not built-in Task Manager.

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.