Troubleshoot Make usenet traffic go to 0 KB/sec when someone downloads in a browser

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
How to slow down usenet traffic on a internet connection so when someone else uses it to download something it goes at full speed?

I have a router what do I need to do for this to happen please?

Basically I want usenet traffic to go down to 0 KB/sec or 0 MB/sec when someone else is downloading something from YouTube, a browser, etc so they get full speed.

I have a Asus router with Asuswrt Merlin firmware and I know about QoS but I prefer what I described if possible please.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Unfortunately, I don't know Usenet and the only thing that I'm thinking of is block, on demand, the Usenet connection with a firewall, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Upvote 0

Balrog

Level 6
Verified
May 5, 2015
Hello there!

I don't know your firmware's capabilities but as far i know about Usenet you will nedd to block the NNTP protocol.The default port for NNTP is 563 but if the user changes to 443 and your router doesn't support for SSL filtering this will not work. You need to look for DPI to completly filtering of NNTP.

If your router is a home model it is very possible that is not capable to do this. Hope this help you. :)

Upvote 0

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Thanks for the help everyone!

I do not want to block usenet traffic though. I just want it to go down to 0 KB/sec when someone else is downloading on another pc or I am downloading on my pc so it downloads at full speed instead. Like for example downloading a program in Firefox.

Upvote 0

Balrog

Level 6
Verified
May 5, 2015
Thanks for the help everyone!

I do not want to block usenet traffic though. I just want it to go down to 0 KB/sec when someone else is downloading on another pc or I am downloading on my pc so it downloads at full speed instead. Like for example downloading a program in Firefox.

I understand but as you don't have Layer 7 capabilities on your router i don't see a way.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.