Solved Making Google Chrome / Chromium to run in single process?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward ST

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2013
Hello, MT! How can I have my Chromium portable to run in a single process? I saw that Google Chrome has its base on Chromium so, every trick goes to be true on Chromium true. :)

Edward ST

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2013
Didn't understand your last sentence, but multi-process browsers have increased stability when a plugin, extensions or webpage crashes. AFAIK, Chromium/Chrome, Internet Explorer and Opera are multi-process by design.
I said that every thing you do with Google Chrome, you can do too with Chromium, knowing the fact that Chrome is based on Chromium

Upvote 0

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Google Chrome used to have a flag (option) which allowed it to run as a single process, you could start it as Chrome.exe -single-process however they removed that option years ago and it's no longer supported.

Thankfully Chromium still supports the flag and you can invoke it by using --single-process (note the double dash).

In simpler terms, create a shortcut to your chrome portable exe (eg: chromium.exe) and right click, edit. In Linux this option may be called "Make Link". In windows you'll see a path such as "F:\Documents\Chromium.exe", you should edit this to append the flag, so it reads something like "F:\Documents\Chromium.exe --single-process"

On Linux, if you right click on the link and choose Properties, you should see a box saying "Command" use the same logic as on Windows here.

Finally I must quote you this from the Chromium documentation, which you should be aware of before you begin:

The single process model provides a baseline for measuring any overhead that the multi-process architectures impose. It is not a safe or robust architecture, as any renderer crash will cause the loss of the entire browser process. It is designed for testing and development purposes, and it may contain bugs that are not present in the other architectures.

Any problems, reply and tag me and I'll try to clear things up :)

Reactions: XhenEd
Upvote 0

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.