Making sure I can delete things in HKLM key

Status
Not open for further replies.

WendyM

Thread author
Dec 13, 2016
I do not have a depth of understanding as to even what the registry does. Your software identified 11 threats, a majority of them beginning with HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\protector_dll.Protector and other variants of this. I am assuming this is a threat and would like to clean all these but am nervous about removing necessary code in the event this has been identified in error (I ran Norton power eraser, which showed no threats) . The power eraser has recourse in the event a necessary file is erroneously removed. My motivation for running your adware cleaner was that I got a web page with audio message this morning proclaiming I had a deadly virus that would shut down my computer. Can you advise? Many many thanks for providing this service!

Reactions: DardiM

Lucent Warrior

Level 1
Verified
Dec 5, 2016
I do not have a depth of understanding as to even what the registry does. Your software identified 11 threats, a majority of them beginning with HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\protector_dll.Protector and other variants of this. I am assuming this is a threat and would like to clean all these but am nervous about removing necessary code in the event this has been identified in error (I ran Norton power eraser, which showed no threats) . The power eraser has recourse in the event a necessary file is erroneously removed. My motivation for running your adware cleaner was that I got a web page with audio message this morning proclaiming I had a deadly virus that would shut down my computer. Can you advise? Many many thanks for providing this service!
Please place a message in this part of the forum with your problem, if you are infected, the malware removal expert here will give you a hand.

Malware Removal Assistance

Reactions: frogboy and DardiM

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Post malware your problem here Malware Removal Assistance
I would not do anything yourself until you have done the above.
Please go to that link and post your problem and you will get help ASAP.
Thread is closed so that you can get the expert assistance at the above link.

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.