Malbky sec config.

malbky

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 23, 2011
I have switched to Comodo Firewall and Defence Plus with Avast Free AV combo.
What else should I add to my setup?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I shouldn't think you'd need additional layers.

Does SmartScreen operate with third-party AV vendors, or does it get disabled?

malbky

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 23, 2011
It operates with third party AV. You need to manually disable it. Yes smart screen sometimes can save you.
Just thinking of adding SAS Pro.
Two amazing discoveries.
Traffic light does not work with Win8
Avira does not support Win8.
Even Avast is maxed out, except mail and p2p shields are off.

D

Deleted member 178

The browser version of BDTL is working on Win8.

SAS is not needed.

malbky

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 23, 2011
Hmm did not try the addon. Will check it. Or maybe traffic light will install in compatibility mode. Avast webep is not so great.

malbky

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 23, 2011
Added :- Slimware PC cleaner
Tweaked CFW
Switched to Comodo DNS
Using Traffic light addon.
Is it safe to do online banking with free softwares guarding your pc?

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
malbky said:
Is it safe to do online banking with free softwares guarding your pc?

No problem with free software till one use them properly,even a paid product unable to protect if its not maintained properly.

If you do online banking do it in avast safezone (I don't know if its in free version too)

If no safezone option available in free version then try trusteer rapport and believe me its great security and the new version is light too.

The best behave when doing online banking is to use a separate web browser which should not be used for regular surfing and should be protected by sandbox and install Trusteer rapport on that browser.

Say for example if you use chrome for browsing/downloading than use firefox for online banking or vice-versa.

Thanks

Edit:Why are you not using avast internet security as you have license from giveaway(if i am correct you too have won on last giveaway along with me)

D

Deleted member 178

Stranger said:
Edit:Why are you not using avast internet security as you have license from giveaway(if i am correct you too have won on last giveaway along with me)

i think he likes CFW , i should install all features of AIS except the firewall, in that case

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
Stranger said:

i think he likes CFW , i should install all features of AIS except the firewall, in that case

its a good choice if someone not interested in using avast firewall,one can choose option in custom install and it will work similar to avast pro.

btw i don't think avast have a very weak firewall and it can be used along side its av

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Nice Config according to you what would be the detection rate of AVAST with CFW (in % eg: 85-95%)

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Unknown said:
Nice Config according to you what would be the detection rate of AVAST with CFW (in % eg: 85-95%)
Hi,
I have read your other posts and you are really confuse to decide which one to use between cis and avast/comodo firewall.
Don't worry detection rate is not a only point while you choose your av,its protection capability and usability are other features you should look at.

If you have clean pc go with cis as it is light,free and hard to have infection if you use it properly.
But if you want avast free you can use it with comodo but my choicewill be windows in built firewall.
Thanks.

malbky

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 23, 2011
Sorry unknown forgot about it. See CIS is great. Dont always worry about detection. CIS Defense+ will catch most viruses.
Also scan all downloaded files and pendrives using MBAM and you will be safe.
Add bitdefender Traffic light or K9 web filter as CIS does not have web scanner.
Now coming to the bad. MY AVAST stopped auto updating after a few days. Had this problem since version 6. So be careful with Avast. Get Avira free with CFW. Avira already gives a high detection rate at about 98%. Plus Defense+ will get the rest. But dont think its impregnable.
Next if you want the best detection. Go paid.
Get GDATA around 98-99% detection as it has two AV engines Avast+bitdefender
Detection rates are important but not highly. And some times products can drop and fall.
For best all round suites with 95%+ detection go with Kaspersky or Bitdefender as they have a very good firewall.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.