Operating System
Windows 10
Infection date and initial symptoms
March 16, 2016
Possible infection after downloading a false Flash program. Multiple pop-up ads on Microsoft Edge
Current issues and symptoms
Pop-up ads making it nearly impossible to use Microsoft Edge, malware placing hyperlinks in random places, redirect to Reimagine website
I am able to use IE without a problem
Steps taken in order to remove the infection
I followed every step on this page multiple times: https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-microsoft-edge-popup-ads/ including the Emsisoft Emergency Kit (EEK) scan. Removed multiple malware sources and a possible Trojan.

Kea718

My father downloaded a fake Flash from a site claiming he needed to update Flash on 3/16/2016 on Microsoft Edge. Since then Microsoft Edge is overrun by pop-up ads (many using something called DNSUnlocker). I used this link: Remove pop-up ads from Microsoft Edge browser (Guide) and followed every step and repeated the process multiple times, however, nothing I've done has fixed the problem. I don't know what else to do at this point. I've attached the logs requested but I can attach the logs from all the other scans I did if you need them. Please help. Thank you.

Attachments

TwinHeadedEagle

Removal Expert
Staff member
Verified
Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

Please re-run Farbar Recovery Scan Tool to give me a fresh look at your system.
  • Right-click on
    icon and select
    Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • Make sure that Addition.txt option is checked.

• Press Scan button and wait.
  • The tool will produce two logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt and Addition.txt.
Please attach report into your next reply.

TwinHeadedEagle

Removal Expert
Staff member
Verified
Scan with ZOEK

Please download ZOEK by Smeenk and save it to your desktop.
Temporary disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware protection - instructions here.

• Right-click on
    icon and select
    Run as Administrator to start the tool.
  • Wait patiently until the main console will appear, it may take a minute or two.
  • In the main box please paste in the following script:
    Code:
    createsrpoint;
    autoclean;
    emptyclsid;
    emptyalltemp;
    ipconfig /flushdns >>"%temp%\log.txt";b
  • Make sure that Scan All Users option is checked.
  • Push Run Script and wait patiently. The scan may take a couple of minutes.
  • When the scan completes, a zoek-results logfile should open in notepad.
  • If a reboot is needed, it will be opened after it. You may also find it at your main drive (usually C:\ drive)
Upload it in your next reply.