Malware Analysis Lab on Home Internet Connection

Tanith

Thread author
Jul 23, 2019
Hi I'm new here and have a basic question to start off with.
I've been running malware in isolation in a virtual machines for some time now and would like to expand my horizons by connecting the virtual machine to known live malicious websites, to analysis activity.
My question is does anyone have any recommendations on how to go about this safely, considering in my case, the VM would be connecting to the web through a standard home router. That router could have other items connected to it like phones, and probably other PCs in the house.
I know some home routers have been infected in the past by botnets, VPNfilter etc. Is it just too risky considering I may end up with something that could infect the router and/or move on to other hardware that's connected????
How do other people go about this sort of analysis safely?
Thanks
T

g4nu5

Level 2
Verified
Dec 5, 2018
i think first what you do be careful don't get a IP address on the same subnet as your host by using Virtual Box or VM,
try to isolate the lab as you can do not try any connection with it. close port SMB 445 and update VBox every day.

and you are wlcm bro .

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.