Serious Discussion "Malware does not exist on macOS” - Mac user survey 2023 by Moonlock

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Key Findings​

At a glance, our initial results revealed that Mac users often struggle to navigate the complex digital world in which they live, work, relax, and socialize.
  • Cybersecurity myths are still alive. 28% of Mac users believe malware does not exist on macOS. Additionally, every third user believes that their data is of no interest to cybercriminals.
  • Awareness is high, but risky behaviors abound. Threat awareness levels are high, with more than 80% of users saying they are informed about cyber threats. Still, 31% admit that they skip updates, and 22% of them use the same password for multiple accounts.
  • There’s a lack of clarity about security tools. Contradictions are widespread among Mac users. For example, some users say they use password managers, but they also save their passwords on their browsers.
  • There’s also a lack of reliable info. More than half of users would like to talk to someone qualified about how to stay safe online, but 30% say it is difficult to find a reliable source of information.
  • Mac users are there for each other. 54% share information about cyber threats, and 41% advise on safe online behavior.

Men and younger users take higher risks​

The common stereotype that men and young people are more likely to take risks proves true — in the context of cybersecurity on Mac, anyway.
Our survey shows that men:
  • Install cracked software more often than women
  • Skip updates more frequently
  • Have to log in to shared devices more
  • Are more likely to accept friend requests from strangers
It also comes as no surprise that younger generations follow the same lines when compared to older respondents. Those between the ages of 25 to 44 are more likely to engage in risky behaviors than older Mac users.

What about security software?​

According to respondents, antivirus tools, VPNs, and storage services are the most purchased solutions, outperforming any other security products. And antivirus tools, firewalls, and password managers are their top security software picks.

Almost half of surveyed users (49%) use antivirus or firewall, and 46% use password managers. But there’s a catch. When asked what software they use, 6% of antivirus and firewall users said they rely on macOS built-in security solutions. And 11% of self-reported password manager users said they store their passwords in browsers.

Source: 28% of Mac users think macOS is malware-free

Who are Moonlock? About Moonlock

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I don't use any antivirus/antimalware solution on my Mac. I do use Adguard and Next DNS along with a VPN at times. I have switched to using Chrome on my MacBook with privacy and security extensions added.
I use malwarebytes real-time on macmini as that was only AV "recommended" by Apple level2 tech -- ie recommended in the broadest sense of the word, more like "if you must..."
I may have nextDNS on mini, I don't recall as I am not using mini other than for monitoring cameras around ther perimeter of the compound. nextDNS is running on iphone15

ncage

Level 3
Verified
May 20, 2017
I pretty much use every OS....but i like to NOT use windows whenever possible. Do i think MacOS is not vulnerability to malware......certainly not (no system is 100% immunie) but IMO its more secure by design than Windows. That being said most of the av products i've tried to Mac have sucked. Kaspersky tries to add pretty much every malware blocking feature in the windows client to mac. While, in theory this is great, in execution it sucks. I couldn't get my network based timemachine backups to work. I deal with their support & honestly it was PAINFUL. They did end up resolving the issue in the end (they had to patch kaspersky) but weeks later it was broken again for whatever reason. So at that point i gave up. I also had similar issues with avast. In the end i chose bitdefender. They don't try add every feature to bitdefender for the mac like kaspersky does. Bitdefender is more minimal: no firewall, no behavior blocker ,ect ect.....just a malware scanning engine. If you want to block malicious domains just install traffic light into your browser. This is what i ended up going with.

I also tried eset (which was heavy on the mac).

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
If you stick to NOD 32 antivirus or Eset Internet Security, they are not bloated. On the contrary. But some of the more expensive plans is a little bloated if you ask me.
But in the 2 first mentioned you get value for your money.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't use any antivirus/antimalware solution on my Mac. I do use Adguard and Next DNS along with a VPN at times. I have switched to using Chrome on my MacBook with privacy and security extensions added.
Neither of my Macs have an AV installed.

The only apps installed from outside the App Store are the browser, a few extensions and an open-source firewall. All from trusted sources.

No extended free trials or warez.

Have you experienced any safe domains being blocked by NextDNS?

Last edited:

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Neither of my Macs have an AV installed.

The only apps installed from outside the App Store are the browser, a few extensions and an open-source firewall. All from trusted sources.

No extended free trials or warez.

Have you experienced any safe domains being blocked by NextDNS?
No. It's been running fine.

Reactions: Nevi

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
I only have a Malwarebytes to on demand scans. No realtime defense. I know there IS malware for Macs), but I trust my head, meaning that I try not to click as a maniac. Same as with my Windows Machine, but there are more Malware written to Windows. But although there is Malware, I know there are antivurs fighting tools in a Macbook. Until now they have (together with my notorious head) kept dirt out. 😐😏

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.