Malware Hunting with the Sysinternals Tools

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Malware Hunting with the Sysinternals Tools

This session provides an overview of several Sysinternals tools, including Process Monitor, Process Explorer, and Autoruns, focusing on the features useful for malware analysis and removal. These utilities enable deep inspection and control of processes, file system and registry activity, and autostart execution points. Mark Russinovich demonstrates their malware-hunting capabilities by presenting several real-world cases that used the tools to identify and clean malware, and concludes by performing a live analysis of a Stuxnet infection’s system impact.

Interesting Viewing :)

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Note: Playing the video inside the browser requires Silverlight but you also have the option to download the video on your PC if you don't have Silverlight installed.

There is also a PDF file available from sysinternals.com that presents the same topic.

An interesting fact: Often, when you kill a malicious process it starts right back. In this case it is much better to suspend malicious processes, since killing them might make another malicious process starting them back.

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
I downloaded the wmv file and played offline.
Very interesting last portion of video, just did not realise how powerful those sysinternals tools were :)

D

Deleted member 178

Yes, some small free tools combined together do a better job than some paid apps.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Excellent video just finished watching it then. I underestimated the power of the Sysinternals tools and now I have the graving to go into a clean Virtual machine, infect it and then use SysInternals tools and test all the features Mark showed.

Anyone have a copy of Flame by the way? /sarc

Unless you've already seen him or another presentation of Sysinternals tools, I recommend you watch it.

Thanks for the share. :)

D

Deleted member 178

i saw it too , very informative.

Check Malware Hubs for Flame

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.