Malware or not? + discussion about running 2 AVs together

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Uhhmmm Malware = Is a general name for Virusess, Trojans, Rootkits and other pests
*cough cough * On wilderssecurity forums
2vblkip.jpg

2hmdi85.jpg

in MBAM Forum
x6h6oy.jpg

happy0006.gif

Reactions: Venustus

Dubseven

Level 14
Verified
Aug 12, 2013
Tryed KasperSky + MBAM Pro on my Virtual Machine.

Malucious file has pass KasperSky but not detected, when trying to run the malware, Malwarebytes get it.

PS: Yes it's a anti-malware i know, i have just failed in my other post when writting.

Reactions: illumination

Dubseven

Level 14
Verified
Aug 12, 2013
But it was what i have told before, not detected before running, MBAM was unable to scan it.. but not a big problem because MBAM get it just when i have tryed to Run the malware..

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
*cough cough * On wilderssecurity forums
2vblkip.jpg

2hmdi85.jpg

in MBAM Forum
x6h6oy.jpg

happy0006.gif

Well exile has said it well, Mbam might not be a antivirus, But then again Norton 360 is a ALL in one package.
So it will conflict if both running in active mode.

I

illumination

But it was what i have told before, not detected before running, MBAM was unable to scan it.. but not a big problem because MBAM get it just when i have tryed to Run the malware..
the fact that it slid by kaspersky, but then Mbam caught it on execution is good enough reason for me to want it as a companion.

D

Deleted member 178

Thanks to introduce my favorite war topic ^^ but it is very late here so i will give a complete answer tomorrow based on my intensive experiences with combos.

But i can say that both Illumination and Nvt are right but what will make the statement of one prevails upon the other are the circumstances and parameters. I wil tell you all tomorrow.

P.s: Dubseven's explanation is very valid too , it enters in the parameters i talked above.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Well exile has said it well, Mbam might not be a antivirus, But then again Norton 360 is a ALL in one package.
So it will conflict if both running in active mode.
First read my first post again, i said MBAM is not an antivirus & i'm right at my point
cool0041.gif

I didn't said it will conflict or not conflict with Norton since i didn't tried it. thnx
anim_28.gif

Reactions: Venustus

truoc

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 3, 2012
When starting this thread it was not my intention for an argument to occur so I apologize for that. With that being said, I'm curious to see what Umbra has to say on the matter. Thank you all for your input on the matter, I will take it all into consideration.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I downloaded DVD Shrink from this site, linked from Softpedia. Claims to be the official, but it's an installer with PUP. Softpedia has the .zip compressed file.
Code:
hxtp://www.dvdshrink.org/

Like I said the product has been discontinued since 2005 due to legal problems with the ability to remove copy protection from DVD's.
The original developer is Glorylogic, after they discontinued DVD Shrink they developed a new product to take its place call "True Burner" which is the exact same as DVD Shrink but lacks the ability to remove copy protection from discs. True Burner is still actively developed by the software vendor. They also make ISO Workshop and Glorylogic is a brother company of Burnaware. All Burnaware products still use the same burning engine as what DVD Shrink used to use. Burnaware also leases their burning engine to third-party developers.

Code:
is not the official website, Glorylogic was court ordered to shutdown the development of DVD Shrink and they closed the official website, the project was not opened source. So I believe that site is fake since it is not directly linked to the developer.

Download installers for DVD Shrink are mostly fakes, the original product did not include any adware or malware.
DVD Shrink only runs on Windows XP anyway since it was discontinue before Vista was developed, some say it will still work work on modern Windows only if it is ran in "XP Mode" and still all of the features don't work correctly. Since it has not been in development in over 9 years, it couldn't even remove most copy protection from modern discs either since modern discs use new methods. The product would just be a waste of time even if it was clean. In most countries any software that can remove copy protection and make exact duplicates is illegal. Software that can remove copy protection from discs is usually only available on hack websites by unknown developers and infected with some nasty malware.

Avoid these type of products, if you want to make exact copies of videos with copy protection, play them on your computer and use a screen recorder, it gets right around the problem.

Enjoy!! :D

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Like I said the product has been discontinued since 2005 due to legal problems with the ability to remove copy protection from DVD's.
The original developer is Glorylogic, after they discontinued DVD Shrink they developed a new product to take its place call "True Burner" which is the exact same as DVD Shrink but lacks the ability to remove copy protection from discs. True Burner is still actively developed by the software vendor. They also make ISO Workshop and Glorylogic is a brother company of Burnaware. All Burnaware products still use the same burning engine as what DVD Shrink used to use. Burnaware also leases their burning engine to third-party developers.

Code:
is not the official website, Glorylogic was court ordered to shutdown the development of DVD Shrink and they closed the official website, the project was not opened source. So I believe that site is fake since it is not directly linked to the developer.

Download installers for DVD Shrink are mostly fakes, the original product did not include any adware or malware.
DVD Shrink only runs on Windows XP anyway since it was discontinue before Vista was developed, some say it will still work work on modern Windows only if it is ran in "XP Mode" and still all of the features don't work correctly. Since it has not been in development in over 9 years, it couldn't even remove most copy protection from modern discs either since modern discs use new methods. The product would just be a waste of time even if it was clean. In most countries any software that can remove copy protection and make exact duplicates is illegal. Software that can remove copy protection from discs is usually only available on hack websites by unknown developers and infected with some nasty malware.

Avoid these type of products, if you want to make exact copies of videos with copy protection, play them on your computer and use a screen recorder, it get right around the problem.

Totally forgot that this was the start point of this topic :D lol

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Totally forgot that this was the start point of this topic :D lol
Yes this thread went out in left field.

About using two AV products together in real-time- No matter if the vendor says their product is compatible, I don't recommend it.
It is impossible to check the long-term compatibility between two or more products, as products updates they change and problem more than likely will appear.

With this selected case, using more than one AV product probably would have still failed to detect the included malware since they are so many variants of fake DVD Shrink installers available, all variants can not be detected since some are zero-day. This goes back to you should always check the download sources and find out more about a product before downloading it or installing.

Reactions: Koroke San

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

OT: I remember. However, I did say that site claims to be official, although the software was discontinued many years ago. I actually still have the original copies (.zip) of DVD Shrink/Decrypter on my PC - not used them though.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I think @Umbra Polaris has explained most of what I was going to say.

But I do want to mention, have you noticed how some security software prior to install, they check your system and if potentially conflicting software is found, then recommends to uninstall them? I believe Bitdefender has had issues with Malwarebytes in the past.

So while Malwarebytes claims to compatible with other main AV software, that may not always be the case if those products cannot or won't play nice with the "complimentary" products.

I'm another who doesn't recommend running 2 or more real-time protection software.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
I think @Umbra Polaris has explained most of what I was going to say.

But I do want to mention, have you noticed how some security software prior to install, they check your system and if potentially conflicting software is found, then recommends to uninstall them? I believe Bitdefender has had issues with Malwarebytes in the past.

So while Malwarebytes claims to compatible with other main AV software, that may not always be the case if those products cannot or won't play nice with the "complimentary" products.

I'm another who doesn't recommend running 2 or more real-time protection software.

I did mention that to in my NIS + Mbam discussion, having a complementary Malwarebytes development is nice, but it does not mean rivals do the same.
So even tho Mbam is coded in such way, Norton and others are not.

truoc

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 3, 2012
Thanks for all the input in this thread, but I have one other question. So if I'm following everything it isn't recommended to run MBAM Pro alongside ANY other AV. So what exactly is the point of the Pro version of MBAM? You buy it and install it and ONLY it as an AV and nothing else? Just solely rely on it as your AV instead of other big names out there? If that is the case I guess you'd be better off just installing a bigger name AV and have MBAM free version sitting around and not waste money on the Pro version. Maybe that's just me.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Thanks for all the input in this thread, but I have one other question. So if I'm following everything it isn't recommended to run MBAM Pro alongside ANY other AV. So what exactly is the point of the Pro version of MBAM? You buy it and install it and ONLY it as an AV and nothing else? Just solely rely on it as your AV instead of other big names out there? If that is the case I guess you'd be better off just installing a bigger name AV and have MBAM free version sitting around and not waste money on the Pro version. Maybe that's just me.

Well its kind of a catch 22 situation, you can run Mbam next to your AV as Umbra pointed out. And imo they are the exception to the rule.
Because the rule states: Do not run multiple AV.
Mbam actually can run next to a AV if you insist and if you know what you are doing.
However if you are just a home user who does not know then you might want to stick with the rule.
That's basically the bottom line.

Malwarebytes has been developed to be a complementary tool next to your main AV, however the real world shows that even with all the efforts by Mbam the competition does not welcome them and this is being reflected in their products.
Hence why you need to exclude some things, otherwise you will run into trouble.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.