Malware through mail

How often do you receive malware through mail?

• I rarely am confronted with malware through email

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Never

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Rarely ever

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Few times a month

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • Few times a week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Receiving malware on a daily basis

Votes: 5 7.1%

• Total voters

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
More phishing, but not on my own personal accounts.

Users of web-based Outlook/OneDrive and Gmail/Drive are automatically protected from malware, files are scanned by their own engines before permitting a file to be download from those services.

Desktop-based Email clients may need to rely on resident Antivirus / Antispam protection, therefore potentially at higher risk.

D

Deleted member 65228

I setup e-mails intented to be used as a way of finding new spam campaigns and malicious software. After creating the e-mail address, I'll shove it into every sign-up and list I can find and post it online a few times so it becomes referenced somewhere.

My personal account though? None, anymore. I used to have several Google accounts but I have since deactivated them all. Now I have one which I created awhile back... It receives nothing unwanted. This is only because I barely use it.

Electr0n

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Feb 19, 2018
I used to use Gmail and now use outlook.com mainly. I have never encountered any malware riddled mail, but I often get a reminder that I am indeed a billionaire, all my funds are diverted in bank of America, IMF and in some remote account of a Nigerian prince, also that I am supposed to play the role of a billionaire philanthropist with my money by using them to charity funds... Certainly uplifting. ;)

PC4Life

Apr 10, 2018
I have been using mainly Mail.com and Gmail in the past years and I cannot recall any phishing or malicious spams really. However, I created some new e-mail accounts in the past weeks using different providers and I did find that spam mails started to flow using my name even though I never asked for those services or gave my name anywhere. I guess it mostly boils down to two factors. First, are you using a trustworthy and reputable e-mail service provider? And, second, do you share your e-mail address while registering to some shady websites? Of course, it is also possible to fall for social engineering or phishing when cyber crooks and hackers can get our e-mail somehow and then send us spam.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I've just opened the spam folder on my Gmail and it looks like I've got some millions from Bank of America and that I spent couple of hundred bucks on Calvin Klein hoodie. :cool:

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I can't understand why some emails are marked as spam. This almost cost me the opportunity of a LifeTime!

I'm about to be fabulously wealthy- a Nigerian Prince was having issues transferring money and all I had to do was so send him 1000 USD (for fees) in order to get a piece of the action once the money was repatriated!

Pretty smart of me, Yes?

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I've received a ton of spam in the past but it seems to have been toned down for now.

Used to get at least 5 "missed whatsapp calls" or "missed messages on facebook" emails everyday.

But right now it seems that the culprit has been caught because I've not gotten a single message for quite some time now.

Some times I get the occasional "iCloud invoice", not really sure if the PDF has been laced with malware or the links in the PDF link to some malicious/phishing sites.

Wingman

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Feb 6, 2017
I get malware/phishing on a my various email addresses on a daily basis but that’s because I purposely allowed it (my daily job rules!)- on my personal email address I get a limited amount due to spf,dkim,dmarc etc inplementation plus some custom scripts -based on custom headers- I have to filter emails :)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.