Poll Malware through mail

Discussion in 'General Security Discussions' started by Windows_Security, Dec 20, 2017.

?

I rarely am confronted with malware through mail

1. How often do you receive malware through mail?>

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. never

15 vote(s)
    30.6%
  3. rarely ever

19 vote(s)
    38.8%
  4. Few times a month

12 vote(s)
    24.5%
  5. Few times a week

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Receiving malware on a daily basis

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. Windows_Security

Windows_Security Level 13
    Content Creator Trusted

Mar 13, 2016
    Holland
    Windows 7
    Default-Deny
    #1 Windows_Security, Dec 20, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    I was triggered by the latest McFee Threat report. The number of new malware is incredible high. Until 2016 I rarely encountered malware. Today (I have three email acounts, one private, one for my windows phone and one for my business) I receive nearly every day through my business email account.Sometimes I even get a poisoned document and a drive by download link a day.

So I decided to change from hosting service (new service provider has auto-patch service for website and should have better email malware scanner). My ISP for home (Ziggo in the Netherlands) does a reasonable job compared to my business hosting service (Ziggo mail filter misses two malware mails a month on average). My outlook account (for my smartphone) hardly ever delivers a mail with malware.

So I am wondering what the exeperience of other forum members is and set up this polll

EDIT -
    SORRY MIS TYPED THE POLL, QUESTION SHOULD BE:
    HOW OFTEN DO YOU RECEIVE MALWARE THROUGH MAIL?

2. Sunshine-boy

Sunshine-boy Level 22

Apr 1, 2017
    IRAN
    Windows 10
    ESET
    Marko :), Weebarra, Telos and 4 others like this.
  3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Level 6

Oct 24, 2015
    Washington DC
    Windows 7
    Emsisoft
    I get them but they are easy to spot. Fedex, Bills for tickets etc, But my 3 email rules keep me safe. 1. No click links. 2 No Open attachments, 3. I get an attachment from someone I know, and wasn't expecting it, I call and confirm. Solves all the problems.

Oh and those rules apply to both personal and business emails.

Marko :), Weebarra, Tsiehshi and 5 others like this.
  4. amico81

amico81 Level 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Germany
    Windows 10
    G-Data
    I get some phishing mails from amazon and paypal....but they are all in my spam folder:
    Wish that i could send any ransomware to these computers from the spammers :devil:

Marko :), Weebarra, XhenEd and 2 others like this.
  5. Evjl's Rain

Evjl's Rain Level 28
    Trusted AV Tester

Apr 18, 2016
    Vietnam
    Windows 8.1
    Avast
    luckily, I have never received any spam email with malwares for years, maybe very few text-only spam mails. Thanks to gmail strong spam filter

Marko :), Weebarra, XhenEd and 3 others like this.
  6. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Level 8
    Content Creator

May 13, 2017
    Postal Worker
    Slovakia
    Windows 10
    I open every email in plain text by default, if I trust it, I can open it in HTML with a simple double click. Attachments can not open by themselves, so that is settled.

Attached Files:

7. Andy Ful

Andy Ful Level 21

Dec 23, 2014
    business
    Poland
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    #7 Andy Ful, Dec 20, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    Over 70% emails in my mailbox are advertisements and spam. I am using only online services. The first thing I always do after login to my mailbox is choosing the option to tick all emails for deleting and next, unticking some emails classified at first look as not advertisements and spam. So, after deleting, only a few emails are left for reading. I have a few friends, one bank, and some other email sources that are easy to recognize, so I never had a problem with malicious emails. I do not know how many of them were malicious, because I did not even open them.

Marko :), Weebarra, XhenEd and 3 others like this.
  8. russ0408

russ0408 Level 4

Jul 28, 2013
    Retired truck driver
    Ontario Canada
    Windows 10
    Avast
    Kaspersky free stopped a email I opened yesterday that was malicious. Don't remember the contents of the email I just finished smoking some of natures wonder. Thank God for Kaspersky though.

9. CMLew

CMLew Level 22

Oct 30, 2015
    Registered Safety Practitioner
    Singapore
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    So far gmail has done pretty gd job to filter for me. Only some managed to pass through.

10. bribon77

bribon77 Level 10

Jul 6, 2017
    spain
    Windows 7
    Emsisoft
    I only have spam of promotion pages.
    I'm crazy to find a malware to see how my configuration acts and how I respond ... But nothing does not work out.:p

11. shmu26

shmu26 Level 53

Jul 3, 2015
    Utopia
    My Gmail spam folder is full of messages from people who want to give me millions of dollars. But I don't get actual malware. Too bad, because the malware is real, while the money offers are fake...

Marko :), Weebarra, bribon77 and 6 others like this.
  12. Andrew999

Andrew999 Level 20

Dec 17, 2014
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Same, I have a Protonmail account which I don't think I have ever got Malware or Spam on. My other one which is a Gmail account I usually get about 4 spam messages a day from Bank of America or something saying I have money waiting for me or I have won like 200k. :LOL:

Marko :), Weebarra, bribon77 and 2 others like this.
  13. carsten ibsen

carsten ibsen Level 20

Sep 18, 2016
    retired
    denmark
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    When I had Bitdefender Total Security, and I ran a full scan, it said that I had malware in my mail:cry:

Marko :), Weebarra, bribon77 and 3 others like this.
  14. XhenEd

XhenEd Level 27
    Content Creator Trusted

Mar 1, 2014
    Philippines
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    I have never encountered malware through email. I would usually open spam email's attachment or link, but I just couldn't get any malware detection (from Kaspersky) or block (from AppGuard [Locked Down]). :cool:

I knew that it was dangerous, but I had RollBack Rx that time. :cool:

Now, I got tired of opening them, so I stopped hunting for malware from my email. :)

Marko :), Weebarra, Andy Ful and 5 others like this.
  15. omidomi

omidomi Level 61
    Trusted AV Tester

Apr 5, 2014
    Fallout New Vegas :D
    Windows 8.1
    Kaspersky
    in many years ago when I have Yahoo mail,I infected with a malware I do't remember whats the name of that malware,but that malware lock my mouse in middle of monitor screen (I see a picture of a girl in a cage) ,after that I do't remember that I infected with this way.
    but I will recived spam (2 or 3 ) per week, I have three email accounts Yandex/Proton and a private Email service.
    my private mail recived spam but another one no :cool:

Marko :), Weebarra, Andy Ful and 3 others like this.
  16. Sunshine-boy

Sunshine-boy Level 22

Apr 1, 2017
    IRAN
    Windows 10
    ESET
    Yandex mail provide a lot of protection against spam and malware(they use dr.web)
    Fighting spam

Marko :), Weebarra, Andy Ful and 2 others like this.
  17. Windows_Security

Windows_Security Level 13
    Content Creator Trusted

Mar 13, 2016
    Holland
    Windows 7
    Default-Deny
    THANKS!

I did not know this free emal ervice. Their opt-out seems fair. So what is their business model (it seems to good to be true)?

--------------------------------GMX mailing opt out
    Our customers and users will occasionally receive newsletters or emails with information on products, services, or special offers. Out of respect for the privacy of our users, GMX gives them the opportunity to opt-out from receiving these types of communications.

18. Transhumana

Transhumana Level 5

Jul 6, 2017
    Croatia
    Windows 10
    I rarely get any malware in my e-mail, it's probably few times a year and only on one of my hotmail accounts. Just yesterday I got one after a long time. It's a fake paypal message with .pdf document attached. I might download and open it in VM to see what it was, just for fun.
    My dad, on the other hand, gets at least 4 or 5 and sometimes even over a dozen of those e-mails daily on his account by one Croatian provider. Usually it's necurs downloader hidden in them.

Marko :), Weebarra and XhenEd like this.
  19. Sunshine-boy

Sunshine-boy Level 22

Apr 1, 2017
    IRAN
    Windows 10
    ESET
    I never got any email from them! but there are some ads(not ads but news) on the main page.I blocked them with Adguard and Yandex:notworthy:

20. steel9

steel9 Level 3

Jun 23, 2017
    Sweden
    Windows 10
    F-Secure
    I receive phishing emails multiple times every month. I do get sent malware, but not as often. Kudos to Gmail spam filter though, it is extremely good at blocking such emails