Malware through mail

How often do you receive malware through mail?

• I rarely am confronted with malware through email

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Never

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Rarely ever

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Few times a month

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • Few times a week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Receiving malware on a daily basis

Votes: 5 7.1%

• Total voters

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
I was triggered by the latest McFee Threat report. The number of new malware is incredible high. Until 2016 I rarely encountered malware. Today (I have three email acounts, one private, one for my windows phone and one for my business) I receive nearly every day through my business email account.Sometimes I even get a poisoned document and a drive by download link a day.

So I decided to change from hosting service (new service provider has auto-patch service for website and should have better email malware scanner). My ISP for home (Ziggo in the Netherlands) does a reasonable job compared to my business hosting service (Ziggo mail filter misses two malware mails a month on average). My outlook account (for my smartphone) hardly ever delivers a mail with malware.

So I am wondering what the exeperience of other forum members is and set up this polll

EDIT -
SORRY MIS TYPED THE POLL, QUESTION SHOULD BE:
HOW OFTEN DO YOU RECEIVE MALWARE THROUGH MAIL?

Last edited:

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
I get them but they are easy to spot. Fedex, Bills for tickets etc, But my 3 email rules keep me safe. 1. No click links. 2 No Open attachments, 3. I get an attachment from someone I know, and wasn't expecting it, I call and confirm. Solves all the problems.

Oh and those rules apply to both personal and business emails.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I open every email in plain text by default, if I trust it, I can open it in HTML with a simple double click. Attachments can not open by themselves, so that is settled.

Attachments

• capture_12212017_000317.jpg
    capture_12212017_000317.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 363

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Over 70% emails in my mailbox are advertisements and spam. I am using only online services. The first thing I always do after login to my mailbox is choosing the option to tick all emails for deleting and next, unticking some emails classified at first look as not advertisements and spam. So, after deleting, only a few emails are left for reading. I have a few friends, one bank, and some other email sources that are easy to recognize, so I never had a problem with malicious emails. I do not know how many of them were malicious, because I did not even open them.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
My Gmail spam folder is full of messages from people who want to give me millions of dollars. But I don't get actual malware. Too bad, because the malware is real, while the money offers are fake...

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
My Gmail spam folder is full of messages from people who want to give me millions of dollars. But I don't get actual malware. Too bad, because the malware is real, while the money offers are fake...
Same, I have a Protonmail account which I don't think I have ever got Malware or Spam on. My other one which is a Gmail account I usually get about 4 spam messages a day from Bank of America or something saying I have money waiting for me or I have won like 200k. :LOL:

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I have never encountered malware through email. I would usually open spam email's attachment or link, but I just couldn't get any malware detection (from Kaspersky) or block (from AppGuard [Locked Down]). :cool:

I knew that it was dangerous, but I had RollBack Rx that time. :cool:

Now, I got tired of opening them, so I stopped hunting for malware from my email. :)

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
in many years ago when I have Yahoo mail,I infected with a malware I do't remember whats the name of that malware,but that malware lock my mouse in middle of monitor screen (I see a picture of a girl in a cage) ,after that I do't remember that I infected with this way.
but I will recived spam (2 or 3 ) per week, I have three email accounts Yandex/Proton and a private Email service.
my private mail recived spam but another one no :cool:

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
I never got any Malware through mail! using Gmx for years.
Malware: Leave it Behind with GMX Free Email Account

THANKS!

I did not know this free emal ervice. Their opt-out seems fair. So what is their business model (it seems to good to be true)?

--------------------------------GMX mailing opt out
Our customers and users will occasionally receive newsletters or emails with information on products, services, or special offers. Out of respect for the privacy of our users, GMX gives them the opportunity to opt-out from receiving these types of communications.

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I rarely get any malware in my e-mail, it's probably few times a year and only on one of my hotmail accounts. Just yesterday I got one after a long time. It's a fake paypal message with .pdf document attached. I might download and open it in VM to see what it was, just for fun.
My dad, on the other hand, gets at least 4 or 5 and sometimes even over a dozen of those e-mails daily on his account by one Croatian provider. Usually it's necurs downloader hidden in them.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.