App Review Malwarebytes 3.0.5.1299 - ransomware tests

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Antiransomware module only

New ransomwares: 0
Old ransomwares/controls: 0
Effectiveness: 0%

Default settings - All modules

Effectiveness: 100%, no files encrypted
Reason: signatures added ???

Last edited:

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
Thank goodness, i still use the version 2 free for on-demand scanning only.
Best thing is, it doesn't auto-update itself in version 3 when i check for signature updates.

I am sure in due time, Malwarebytes will discontinue version 2. Then i will be searching for a new on-demand scanner as good as MBAM free.

Regards.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Thank goodness, i still use the version 2 free for on-demand scanning only.
Best thing is, it doesn't auto-update itself in version 3 when i check for signature updates.

I am sure in due time, Malwarebytes will discontinue version 2. Then i will be searching for a new on-demand scanner as good as MBAM free.

Regards.
hi, I just updated the test with all modules enabled. It scored 100% of working ransomwares :)

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Very nice test.

I have seen other tests where Malwarebytes 3.0 does well against ransomeware but with all the modules activated. Just saying, if I were going to pay over $35 a year for MB 3.0, I would want the ransomeware module to be effective at least. Should I be forced to add AppCheck after buying MB 3.0 which has a A/R module?

It makes me sad :(:rolleyes: to find myself asking if MB is purposely holding back with A/R development to scare current holders of their anti-ransomeware software in to buying MB 3.0. I have seen too many crazy scenarios like this in the past, although not from MB. Maybe MB are supremely confident in the rest of the program to do the job. But why even have A/R?

Disappointing o_O

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Very nice test.

I have seen other tests where Malwarebytes 3.0 does well against ransomeware but with all the modules activated. Just saying, if I were going to pay over $35 a year for MB 3.0, I would want the ransomeware module to be effective at least. Should I be forced to add AppCheck after buying MB 3.0 which has a A/R module?

It makes me sad :(:rolleyes: to find myself asking if MB is purposely holding back with A/R development to scare current holders of their anti-ransomeware software in to buying MB 3.0. I have seen too many crazy scenarios like this in the past, although not from MB. Maybe MB are supremely confident in the rest of the program to do the job. But why even have A/R?

Disappointing o_O
I'm posting a question on Wilders to ask if the MB antiransomware beta is still usable or equivalent to MB3 or not
hope I can get a proper answer

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Antiransomware module only

New ransomwares: 0
Old ransomwares/controls: 0
Effectiveness: 0%

Default settings - All modules

Effectiveness: 100%, no files encrypted
Reason: signatures added ???

Very nice tests :) And to think that you originally watched me & now you're a fully fledged Youtuber :D

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
I am not surprised. I've doing similiar tests and with the Malware module on Ive gotten 100% detection, but with just ransomware module on it's zero.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.