Advice Request Malwarebytes 3.0 uses A LOT of CPU, RAM and slows down my computers. How about you?

• Thread starter RoadRashWolfenstein
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

How does Malwarebytes 3.0 (with real time protection enabled) impact your PC's performance ?

• A lot, i had to uninstall it.

Votes: 48 50.0%
  • A lot, i disabled some features.

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • It has some impact but it's acceptable.

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • No problem here, it's light as a feather !

Votes: 11 11.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
How does Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium perform a real PC with a clean installation of Windows 10 AU Home?
- Only Windows Updates applied.
- No other third-party security installed.
- Default privacy and security settings.

Neno

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jan 4, 2012
How does Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium perform a real PC with a clean installation of Windows 10 AU Home?
- Only Windows Updates applied.
- No other third-party security installed.
- Default privacy and security settings.

First of all, Malwarebytes 3 Premium performs great on its own.
Now... Microsoft needs to improve its own Windows Defender, which knows to bog down system quite obvious. Malwarebytes 3 and WD together have impactful performance degradation. On its own M3 (as i use it) is a light antimalware product (measured on high/mid configuration). In comparison it is lighter than WD as a single solution.
Some people wrongly equate RAM usage with system slowdown or whatever, if you do care or have a need for small RAM imprints look elsewhere - it takes about 300mb in my case , but that also depends on the PC configuration.
Will it be enough to protect you... well that only depends on your behaviour on the net :). In my case WD is more than enough, but until it is optimized better i will continue to use M3 Premium (lifetime licence does help :) )

R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
Guys thanks to you all for taking the time to participate to this poll and your answers ;)

It's good to know that i'm not the only one having issues (i actually uninstalled Malwarebytes 3) and to know your point of view.

Hopefully the guys at Malwarebytes will read this or similar posts and will adjust their product accordingly.

jadinolf

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 20, 2014
I have 5 computers but only tried 3.05 on four of them.

I was able to install it on 2 of them and they "sorta" work but could not install it on the other 2.

What scares me is the fact that all of my computers are pretty much the same.

I am waiting patiently for a fix. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoadRashWolfenstein
R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
I have 5 computers but only tried 3.05 on four of them.

I was able to install it on 2 of them and they "sorta" work but could not install it on the other 2.

What scares me is the fact that all of my computers are pretty much the same.

I am waiting patiently for a fix. Fingers crossed.

Try and figure out what's different with the computers you had a problem with. Maybe you have different AV or a different OS ? Also restarting several times helps sometimes. As far as i'm concerned i had no trouble upon installation. Only the slowdown issue. Hope i helped ;)

R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
It uses 2% CPU but 1000 Mb of RAM for me.

Strange, it used less than 400mb of ram on my PCs, even with 2 users connected. As for the CPU usage, i had strong spikes when using web browsers, especially when opening the browser or new tags.

It's funny to see how we different issues and results with the same product tough :p

jadinolf

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 20, 2014
Try and figure out what's different with the computers you had a problem with. Maybe you have different AV or a different OS ? Also restarting several times helps sometimes. As far as i'm concerned i had no trouble upon installation. Only the slowdown issue. Hope i helped ;)
Same antivirus and same everything.

I'd rather have the Malwarebytes people fix it.

Reactions: RoadRashWolfenstein

RRS1944

Jan 28, 2017
Only use MBAM as a standalone scanner since 2008. Now with v3.0.xxx there is 90-100% CPU usage when running a quick scan. Not going to waste my time with a full scan test. I have tried all three versions of 3.0.xxx. All were exhibiting same behavior. Just uninstalled and reinstalled MBAM v2.2.1.1043 for the third time. High CPU usage is totally unacceptable. On the MBAM forums it is stated that the full CPU resources are used to "speedup scans". Seems counter productive to me... If not corrected I'll have to find another standalone scanner.

Rob
_

Last edited:
R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
Only use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as a standalone scanner since 2008. Now with v3.0.xxx there is 90-100% CPU usage when running a quick scan. Not going to waste my time with a full scan test. I have tried all three versions of 3.0.xxx. All were exhibiting same behavior. Just uninstalled and reinstalled Malwarebytes Anti-Malware v2.2.1.1043 for the third time. High CPU usage is totally unacceptable. On the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware forums it is stated that the full CPU resources are used to "speedup scans". Seems counter productive to me... If not corrected I'll have to find another standalone scanner.

Rob
_

I really used to love Malwarebytes but i can't help but feel that version 3 won't be much improved. It has to many flaws and i think that in order to fix these issues they're going to need to make changes to the core of the product.

They messed up with version 3 and i think that we'll have to wait until version 4 to see some real improvement. Still i don't know how long that's gonna take and what impact these issues will have on their reputation.

In my opinion it is still a great on demand scan if you use occasionally but that's it.

Reactions: beetal2015
B

beetal2015

Thread author
Only use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as a standalone scanner since 2008. Now with v3.0.xxx there is 90-100% CPU usage when running a quick scan. Not going to waste my time with a full scan test. I have tried all three versions of 3.0.xxx. All were exhibiting same behavior. Just uninstalled and reinstalled Malwarebytes Anti-Malware v2.2.1.1043 for the third time. High CPU usage is totally unacceptable. On the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware forums it is stated that the full CPU resources are used to "speedup scans". Seems counter productive to me... If not corrected I'll have to find another standalone scanner.

Rob
_
Same here!

MBAM 3.0 is consuming maximum memory of 300MB continuously as shown in task bar.

Even Windows op. System memory usage is very less.
MBAM 2.2.1.1043 is light weight and consumes very less memory usage.

Also CPU usage is quite high.

These problems are creating haevoc in the computer system !!!

Untill these are solved I cannot use it.

Sana

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Dec 30, 2015
MB seemed to be somewhat of a resource hog as of late. Love the protection and the software, but I feel it's a bit bloated (at times). Had to uninstall it and went with Heimdal. Too early for me to say, if it good or not, but it's definitely much lighter with whatever I'm missing from the all-in-one solution.

Reactions: beetal2015

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
OK so I installed MB3 last night and launched a full scan.

It completed by the morning and I was low on RAM. I have 24GB installed. Closing everything and looking at the task manager revealed nothing...still had 20GB tied up somehow. A restart cleared it.

Reactions: Sana

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
For some reason it started to nag me a few days ago whenever I really don't need to know about it (while playing an FPS, my screen will suddenly minimize, because Malwarebytes has to urgently tell me about the update for the umpteenth time), so I'm really considerung uninstalling the whole damn thing. So annoying. :mad:

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
Malwarebytes lost its way some years ago. This new version uses a lot more CPU and the scanning speed seems low. Malwarebytes fell much behind its competitors and there is no advantage in having it. I personally own a licence but don't use it. Detection rate is much lower than Zemana for use as on demand scanner. Realtime protection is a joke. I wouldn't consider MBAM to install on my system until maybe a version 4 comes out.

Reactions: frogboy and Sana

RTurnock

Apr 7, 2017
Bellow you will find my experience using the product. I made a poll because i thought it would be interesting to know how Malwarebytes impact users performance.

So i have Malwarebytes 3.0 installed on 3 PC, and it slows down the computers A LOT (when using Chrome or even seeing pictures in a folder). I also have Norton Security and SUPERAntiSpyware (real time protection disabled), but i have made the exclusions for all 3 softwares.

I have tried to uninstall Norton and SAS but it didn't change nothing. Malwarebytes uses A LOT of CPU when starting Chrome or opening a new tab (up to 30 or 40% for 10 or 20 seconds) and between 200 to 300mb of RAM constantly. If i uninstall Malwarebytes the computer becomes light again and works smoothly.

I have realized how ridiculous is the CPU usage when checking the system monitoring of Diskeeper. On the last 7 days Malwarebytes has used almost 45% of the CPU :eek: That is almost half of the total raw power of the PC. In comparison, Chrome has used only less than 5% and it used for hours every day. Norton uses so little power that it doesn't even appear on the list. It also uses the most disk usage. It is more or less the same thing on the 2 other computers.

The specs of my PCs also very decent (i5, 8gb RAM, SSD) and the other computer is even a gaming rig. They are on Windows 10 (clean install).

Therefore in the meantime i think i'll have to disable the real time protection features and just let the daily scan :( I hope Malwarebytes will fix this issue and make it lighter, as it seems i'm not the only one having this issue, and their product is really awesome besides that.

Here are some screenshots of the CPU and disk usage (system monitoring in Diskeeper):

CPU USAGE THE LAST 7 DAYS:
View attachment 130091

DISK USAGE THE LAST 7 DAYS:
View attachment 130092

RTurnock

Apr 7, 2017
Similar problem. First I was mad that I was told I couldn't use my existing licenses (5) for version 3, I find I could have so I wasted money buying new ones.

I have done a clean install twice in two days on a W7 Laptop. Chrome took 12 seconds to load after MB3 was installed, about 1 before. Nothing else, not previous files just Windows and MB3 - pretty conclusive.

How do I go back to 2.2?

Reactions: frogboy

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
I reinstalled it after doing a clean install of windows creator update and my PC froze!
Had to do a hard reboot and boot into safe mode to uninstall it.
Think i'll avoid this until they sort it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.