Poll Malwarebytes 3.0 uses A LOT of CPU, RAM and slows down my computers. How about you?

Discussion in 'Malwarebytes' started by RoadRashWolfenstein, Jan 4, 2017.

How does Malwarebytes 3.0 (with real time protection enabled) impact your PC's performance ?

1. A lot, i had to uninstall it.

47 vote(s)
  2. A lot, i disabled some features.

8 vote(s)
  3. It has some impact but it's acceptable.

30 vote(s)
  4. No problem here, it's light as a feather !

11 vote(s)
  1. #1 RoadRashWolfenstein, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2017
    Bellow you will find my experience using the product. I made a poll because i thought it would be interesting to know how Malwarebytes impact users performance.

So i have Malwarebytes 3.0 installed on 3 PC, and it slows down the computers A LOT (when using Chrome or even seeing pictures in a folder). I also have Norton Security and SUPERAntiSpyware (real time protection disabled), but i have made the exclusions for all 3 softwares.

I have tried to uninstall Norton and SAS but it didn't change nothing. Malwarebytes uses A LOT of CPU when starting Chrome or opening a new tab (up to 30 or 40% for 10 or 20 seconds) and between 200 to 300mb of RAM constantly. If i uninstall Malwarebytes the computer becomes light again and works smoothly.

I have realized how ridiculous is the CPU usage when checking the system monitoring of Diskeeper. On the last 7 days Malwarebytes has used almost 45% of the CPU :eek: That is almost half of the total raw power of the PC. In comparison, Chrome has used only less than 5% and it used for hours every day. Norton uses so little power that it doesn't even appear on the list. It also uses the most disk usage. It is more or less the same thing on the 2 other computers.

The specs of my PCs also very decent (i5, 8gb RAM, SSD) and the other computer is even a gaming rig. They are on Windows 10 (clean install).

Therefore in the meantime i think i'll have to disable the real time protection features and just let the daily scan :( I hope Malwarebytes will fix this issue and make it lighter, as it seems i'm not the only one having this issue, and their product is really awesome besides that.

Here are some screenshots of the CPU and disk usage (system monitoring in Diskeeper):

Malwarebytes CPU usage.JPG

Malwarebytes disk usage.JPG
  2. Evjl's Rain

Evjl's Rain Level 31
    Trusted AV Tester

Apr 18, 2016
    Windows 8.1
    #2 Evjl's Rain, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    MB3 is just very bad. Poor detection rate, high resource usage and almost has no zero-day malware protection. according to some tests, it blocked malwares by the scanner, the rest was executed but it was completely silent

MB3 only has good a web blocker, thanks to their hphosts, good antiexploit module, great signature against PUPs, adwares which are usually missed by primary AVs
    the antiransomware and antimalware/antivirus features are absolute jokes

if you follow the thread on Wilders, many many users are complaining about it and more people revert back to v2.2
    Andytay70, Rengar, JB007 and 15 others like this.
  3. novocaine

novocaine Level 4

Aug 19, 2016
    Windows 7
    last week I tried MB3 then it shows around 200MB on TM, ok uninstall, I tried to put 2nd layer aside my ESET SS 8, I also tried to put HMPA and my connection slowed down, my world of warcraft became a mess, ok uninstall, no 2nd layer, no threats found anyway
    JB007, spaceoctopus, Wendra and 6 others like this.
  4. Svoll

Svoll Level 12

Nov 17, 2016
    Student/Engineering Failure
    MacOS High Sierra
    Voted has some impact but it is acceptable.

When I ran the 30 day trial, I didn't notice too much of an impact, it just felt not as refined as version 2.2. I went back to version 2.2 after testing it due to it consuming about 350-400mb of ram. There are videos about MB 3.0 posted on the the video reviews and it has performed well. Video Review - Malwarebytes Premium V3 Review
    I agree with the reviewer, if your computer can afford the resources to run it, it is pretty amazing for a new release.
  5. beetal2015

beetal2015 Guest

Yes, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware v.3.0.5 is causing blue screen of death !!!
    lot of cpu usage, web protection going off frequently, just creating heavoc !
    I think it's better to go to v.2
    untill it's released in more better version.
    December, JB007, spaceoctopus and 6 others like this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Level 22

Nov 8, 2014
    Windows 10
    I didn't upgrade still staying on v2.
    JB007, spaceoctopus, venustus and 5 others like this.
  7. Zero Knowledge

Zero Knowledge Level 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Dark Cloud Universe
    I uninstalled MB months ago because of poor detection tests. It was basically useless against malware.

I have no desire to install a buggy MB3. By all reports it's garbage. Detection is still very poor.

MB really need to raise their game. They have fallen so far behind the composition I doubt they can recover.
    JB007, spaceoctopus, Svoll and 3 others like this.
  8. askmark

askmark Level 11

Aug 31, 2016
    united kingdom
    Windows 10
    Not upgraded yet... waiting for it to come out of beta :D
  9. Petrovic

Petrovic Level 61

Apr 25, 2013
    Somewhere In nowhere
    Very paranoid blocker;)
    & yep, mb3 very poor. I have lifetime license and i don`t use it
  10. carsten ibsen

carsten ibsen Level 21

Sep 18, 2016
    Windows 10
    I voted some impact but acceptable; i can not do without it, it is working with my Bitdefender total protection like a charm:)
    onreact, JB007, spaceoctopus and 7 others like this.
  11. TheJokerz

TheJokerz Level 5

Jan 7, 2016
    Information Technology
    Windows 10
    I have upgraded and find the usage higher but acceptable. Hopefully it will come down when it is fully released!
  12. Evjl's Rain

Evjl's Rain Level 31
    Trusted AV Tester

Apr 18, 2016
    Windows 8.1
    I agree to some extend. However, it's not worth to spend that much resource for that limited level of protection
    there are many better products with much lighter resource usage
    JB007, spaceoctopus, venustus and 8 others like this.
  13. Thanks a lot @Evjl's Rain @novocaine @Svoll @beetal2015 @Vasudev @Zero Knowledge @askmark @Petrovic @carsten ibsen and @TheJokerz and all of you that participated to the poll ;)

I'm glad to know i'm not the only one having this issue. For those that don't have slow down issues, well i'm happy for guys. Maybe you have a powerful rig or it's just luck ?

Anyway it seems that version 3.0 won't give me a break. I've tried deactivating the real time protection, but even with pop-up notifications turned off, Malwarebytes still warns me that some protection are deactivated and propose to turn them on upon startup. I can just close the pop-up, but still it's annoying not being able to use the Premium version to just use the scheduled scans without having these warnings. They definitely forget the power users on that one...

In a post on the Malwarebytes forum, an administrator said "In addition to the above info, please be aware that certain notifications cannot be disabled, even when that setting is turned off" (see last post here).

I guess i'll have to deal with the pop-ups or just uninstall Malwarebytes. It's too bad cause i bought a 2 years license just a few months ago, and i can't help thinking HPA would have been a much lighter alternative, even though I've seen there is a few bugs now and there.

I doubt there can be any sort of update that could make Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 3.0 light, but an option to turn off real time protection pop-ups warning would be nice.

PS: I've quoted all of you guys in my message. Is this OK, or should i just have replied without doing that ? o_O
  14. A.S.K

A.S.K Level 1

Dec 19, 2016
    Windows 8.1
    yes its resource hog and the developers needs to concentrate on resource usage which is not happening from long time
  15. askmark

askmark Level 11

Aug 31, 2016
    united kingdom
    Windows 10
    They've really dropped the ball, big time!

If they don't rectify this quickly they could lose their reputation and credibility.
  16. Marko :)

Marko :) Level 11

Aug 12, 2015
    Windows 10
    I'm still using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and looks like I'm not going to update until they fix those issues. :)
  17. jackuars

jackuars Level 22

Jul 2, 2014
    I use it as an on-demand scanner [real-time protection disabled] which it is really good at. So no problems here.
  18. Adz.

Adz. Level 1

Dec 15, 2016
    I got the trial version, after running it for 5 days. I disabled it completely from running on my pc. It took over 300mb of ram and it was eating my disk, slowed down my computer next level. I will only enable it when i see updates and improvements.
  19. Ana_Filiz

Ana_Filiz Level 4

Aug 23, 2016
    Perfect choice, me too. I never upgrade to latest versions of software until some good time lapses. There are always bugs, unrefined features, crashes, new unwanted features, unneeded bundles, etc.
  20. jelson

jelson Level 2

Jun 14, 2011
    Same here... I'll give Malwarebytes a chance to get up to speed before trying ver 3.0... Has Malwarebytes shot themselves in the head by attempting to be more than they used to be?

(And Malwarebytes Anti-Malware was really, really good in its ver 1.x and 2.x incarnations... here's hoping they get it right. ;))