Serious Discussion Malwarebytes 5.0 Open Beta available

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I started round two of the beta test tonight. Before I did anything else I deleted both MBAM downloads from last night to give myself a clean start on this second go-around. Then I downloaded, installed and activated the old but current MBAM v. 4.5.20.230 with my lifetime license. I did a scan with it just to duplicate everyday use. With v. 4.5 there was only one instance of MBAM in the task manager, but still kind of high ram use at 220.5 MB:

View attachment 272012

Then I downloaded and installed the new beta version 5 over the old version 4. I did another scan just for testing, and now I have two instances of the beta MBAM in my task manager:

View attachment 272014

With the beta app closed but still running in real time in the background my CPU use is fluctuating between 4% to 10%. Total memory use in task manager is 61% and disk use is 5%. Those numbers don't change much when I have the app open and running in my task bar, MBAM Service is at 221 MB and the beta 5 app itself is at 77.5 MB, and both of those stats are holding steady, not fluctuating at all. In the grand scheme of things, the beta does not really use that much more memory than version 4 does. I don't think any of these stats are deal-breakers.

The laptop surface by the track pad is warm again like it was with the beta last night, but it's not abnormally warm. I would still like to know why there are 2 instances of the beta app running like that. I will definitely ask about that if I can ever get registered in the MBAM forum.

I think either version of MBAM is probably worth using along with Windows Security/Defender, even if only for the extra malware protection they provide. The beta and WD seem to work very well together. I turned off the setting to register MBAM in the Windows security center and have seen no signs of any kind of conflicts or problems between the two. I read somewhere just the other day that the devs at Malwarebytes have a very high priority on making sure MBAM and Defender work together as well as possible.

The main thing I need to remember here is that apps use memory. I don't think any of the memory use with the MBAM beta is out of the ordinary. The beta is not affecting the memory use of Windows Security either, that one is only at 83.5 MB right now and my total CPU memory use is fluctuating between 5% to 13%. For now I plan to keep the beta running on my laptop and see how it goes. I wonder if it might eventually mimic Bitdefender and back off on memory use as it learns my system over time the longer I use it. Time will tell.

C.H.

Edit: According to the Core Temp app my laptop is running at 44 degrees Celsius, which converts to 111 degrees Fahrenheit, which is well within the normal range. I think I was worried about a whole lot of nothing as far as the laptop temp was concerned, but it is still a little off-putting for it to be warmer to the touch than usual.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Divine_Barakah

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
One last update, I removed the MB Beta today. It was using almost 300 mb of memory but not really doing much of anything else. It slowed my browsing speed too, seemed to be even slower than the browser was with v. 4.5. MB is a good idea, it's probably a good app but needs to be used on a better computer than I have, one with more memory and a faster processor.

I also don't want to be monkeying around with beta apps. I am no computer expert but even the MB beta seemed to be unpredictable.

C.H.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Its using around 300 mb on my computer as well, I have no problem with this. I have 12 GB of ram and cannot notice any browsing slowdowns. Basically it is just sitting there doing its job, I have not noticed anything unpredictable. I've tried MB betas in the past going back to v3, they are usually very stable. I'll wait for the final version to come out before I decide if I am going to keep this program installed or not.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
Its using around 300 mb on my computer as well, I have no problem with this. I have 12 GB of ram and cannot notice any browsing slowdowns. Basically it is just sitting there doing its job, I have not noticed anything unpredictable. I've tried MB betas in the past going back to v3, they are usually very stable. I'll wait for the final version to come out before I decide if I am going to keep this program installed or not.
I might revisit MB again when the official version is ready. The app itself is probably fine but where it seemed unstable to me was when I had a little trouble with the download and installation. Memory use was probably ok by today's standards but it was still too much for me.

I remember I was still on Windows 7 when I bought that lifetime license. MBAM was definitely an asset on Windows 7 and 8 but seems to me it's kind of redundant to use on Windows 11. I do like the idea and purpose of MBAM, it will be a good useful app and the new gui is great, but it's not something I absolutely have to use right now.

C.H.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I think I've changed my mind and going to uninstall for these reasons:

There's a "Shop" icon in the gui, I don't install a security app to shop.
Theres a large box for the VPN, for those of us who don't use the VPN there is no way to minimize or get rid of this box.
There's another large box for "Security Advisor" , this may be good for some users but for anyone who knows what they are doing it is just taking up space and throwing out useless warnings.
There are better secondary programs such as VS or SWH.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.