Advice Request Malwarebytes acquires Windows Firewall Control firm BiniSoft

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Thread author
Very interesting! I knew they were bought up a while ago, but it went dark for a while, so I was starting to wonder if we would ever know who bought them. I am assuming that they are going to integrate it into their current anti-malware product, but I couldn't tell from the article if they are going to keep it as a separate piece of software for those who just want the firewall component and not the whole anti-malware.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Very interesting! I knew they were bought up a while ago, but it went dark for a while, so I was starting to wonder if we would ever know who bought them. I am assuming that they are going to integrate it into their current anti-malware product, but I couldn't tell from the article if they will still keep it as a separate piece of software, for those who just want the firewall piece and not the whole anti-malware.
from what in heard, no standalone. anyway, the goal was to boost their MBAM sales by incorporating a "firewall"

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Thread author
from what in heard, no standalone. anyway, the goal was to boost their MBAM sales by incorporating a "firewall"

Thanks for the clarification. It does make sense and I think since the introduction of MBAM V3 they seem to definitely be going in the direction to create a truly standalone product. I wouldn't be surprised if you can no longer run MBAM along side any AV in the future (real-time).

L

Local Host

Thread author
Very interesting! I knew they were bought up a while ago, but it went dark for a while, so I was starting to wonder if we would ever know who bought them. I am assuming that they are going to integrate it into their current anti-malware product, but I couldn't tell from the article if they are going to keep it as a separate piece of software for those who just want the firewall component and not the whole anti-malware.
On WFC website we have this,

Becoming a registered user is no longer possible.
Windows Firewall Control will be part of a different security product in the near future.
Thank you for your understanding and your support over the years. Stay tuned.

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
I don't like the fact it's a US based company that bought it :sneaky:

I'm looking forward to look for alternatives, or make one myself.
Honestly, I couldn't care less about the country of the company. But this is Malwarebytes we're talking about here. And I can confidently say that the chance of them to release WFC as standalone product is close to zero.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I did not expect that.
If Malwarebytes was lighter I'd use it again.

Honestly, I couldn't care less about the country of the company. But this is Malwarebytes we're talking about here. And I can confidently say that the chance of them to release WFC as standalone product is close to zero.
Maybe they can keep WFC like they do with their Anti exploit. Perpetual beta.

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
That's the thing I hate the most about MB business model. They treat users like guinea pigs to test their perpetual beta products. If we happen to like any of those standalone beta products, there's no way to acquire the stable version other than to purchase MB premium.

I'm not saying that their beta products is bad or unstable. I just think that in most cases using beta software isn't really good practice for daily use.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

The trial was buggy and heavy. I couldn't disable the realtime protection fast enough.

Not very user friendly though. I wanted to buy Plus, but I could not figure out, how to create rules, it is even worse than Windows Firewall.

TinyWall to the rescue - if you're willing to drink the Kool-Aid. I did! :)(y)
Windows 10 Privacy Guide - Spring Creators Update

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Not very user friendly though. I wanted to buy Plus, but I could not figure out, how to create rules, it is even worse than Windows Firewall.
Same here. I tried it after you mentioned its very light somewhere but couldn't understand how to use it. WFC is way easier. And it should be fine for a while since developer said he'd fix bugs and compatibility issues, just no new features.
I use simplewall but I don't know how much feature rich it is compared to WFC since my knowledge in firewall is limited. Firewall app blocker was basic but I liked it. I have yet to try Evorim firewall, Fortknox and Xvirus. Wonder how good they are :unsure: Is there any other decent options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.