Not open for further replies.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
AdwCleaner is a program that searches for and deletes Adware, Toolbars, Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP), and browser Hijackers from your computer. By using AdwCleaner you can easily remove many of these types of programs for a better user experience on your computer and while browsing the web.

The types of programs that AdwCleaner targets are typically bundled with free programs that you download from the web. In many cases when you download and install a program, the install will state that these programs will be installed along with the program you downloaded. Unless you perform a Custom install, these unwanted programs will automatically be installed on your computer leaving you with extra browser toolbars, adware, and other unwanted programs. AdwCleaner is designed to search for and remove these types of programs.

AdwCleaner 6.043 changelog:

• [ADD] - Support for NetSVCs (x32/x64)
  • [ADD] - Downloads scan (file/folder)
  • [ADD] - Increase debug verbosity while handling files/folders attributes
  • [UPD] - Update all translations
  • [UPD] - Scan more registry elements
  • [UPD] - Speed up and improve uninstallation
  • [UPD] - Update bottom-app text and webpage
  • [UPD] - Database 2017-01-27.2
  • [BUG] - Fix minor GUI glitches
Download: Malwarebytes AdwCleaner 6.043 | 3.8 MB (Freeware)

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Hello, I scanned with adware cleaner:40 threats, but my Malwarebytes or my Bitdefender did not find any, it has got too many false positives.o_OAnd i went through the logfile,legitimate programs some of them,who had been removed if i just trusted the program and pressed clean.
Use with Caution;)

TheSuperGeek

Level 2
Verified
Jan 6, 2017
Hello, I scanned with adware cleaner:40 threats, but my Malwarebytes or my Bitdefender did not find any, it has got too many false positives.o_OAnd i went through the logfile,legitimate programs some of them,who had been removed if i just trusted the program and pressed clean.
Use with Caution;)
Yes virus removal tool are to be used with caution or you have to be guided by an expert because they can do more bad things than good !

W

Wave

Use with Caution;)
I recommend sticking to using it for when there is really a problem, as opposed to treating it like an on-demand scanner like MBAM. It's very effective and powerful with what it does, though... That is why MBAM bought them out and hired the developers to join their research team.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Use with Caution;)

It's an adware cleaner, not an anti-virus; you can't compare it with Bitdefender or Malwarebytes. (though the latter may have some overlap)

It's also not automatic: you are given a list of things it can remove; if you don't verify it before pressing "Clean", you cannot complain that it removed stuff without your knowledge.

Reactions: Ink

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
It's an adware cleaner, not an anti-virus; you can't compare it with Bitdefender or Malwarebytes. (though the latter may have some overlap)

It's also not automatic: you are given a list of things it can remove; if you don't verify it before pressing "Clean", you cannot complain that it removed stuff without your knowledge.

Yup, don't proceed by checking all the boxes. Choose the programs you don't know or remember installing.

Yes it does nuke programs like Youtube DOwnloader aand Wondershare Slideshow creator.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Rolo Everyone treats Virus/Malware/Adware removal tools as on-demand scanning tools for no reason. It's beyond my understanding as to why this is the case, because unless you have stubborn malware or instructed by an Expert in MRA, then the software need not be installed as your systems are protected and malware-free.

I've only used AdwCleaner once for some troubling software on VM.

Reactions: WinXPert

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Yes it does nuke programs like Youtube DOwnloader aand Wondershare Slideshow creator.

The former has PUPs with it, not sure about the latter.

And the first 'P' does mean "Potentially" Unwanted Program...eye of the beholder sort of thing. That's where the "malware" classification is a bit relative.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
@Rolo Everyone treats Virus/Malware/Adware removal tools as on-demand scanning tools for no reason. It's beyond my understanding as to why this is the case, ...
Because they also scan.

If I get a client's PC to fix or I have an incident on my own PC, I run every reputable on-demand scanner (well, about 8 or so). It's a minimal investment of time and effort for maximal potential gain. My most recent incident was a link from within a FutureLearn course that opened an additional tab with the modal your-PC-is-broken phishing dialogue and Bitdefender blocked a Trojan. I immediately ended Chrome's task tree and ran all my on-demands and restarted w/o restoring tabs. Everything was fine but I had to ensure that was the case.

For clients, I do this before copying their personal files onto a clean external drive before disk-wiping their machine and rebuilding it from scratch. Then their files get another scan from my known-good machine whilst I rebuild theirs. This way, I know for certain that their machine is clean, up-to-date, and optimized and any future problems would be new problems.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For everyday use on a personal device vs fixing a client's PC, is different. (imo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.