Malwarebytes Amnesty program allowing Pirate Keys to turn into Genuine Premium License Keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Malwarebytes pardons Pirates and gives away free one year premium license keys. Malwarebytes Corporation is after the counterfeit keys, they’re running ‘Amnesty key’ program with which, if Malwarebytes Program detects abused, pirated or counterfeit keys during the upgrade to version 2.1.8, then the user will be presented with a special screen (Locate your license key) with two options (check the screenshot below).

Selecting the first — ‘I’m not sure where I got key from, or I downloaded it from the Internet’ — or second option –‘I purchased my key’– will issue users a new and unique key of Malwarebytes anti-Malware premium, which user can use for one year or 12 months for free.

Malwarebytes-locating-your-license-key-screen.png

If you don’t activate the key or click the ‘Cancel’ button, then you’ll remain on the free version.

Next go to ‘My Account’ screen, note down the new key, your old key will be disabled after a period of time. This way, Malwarebytes disables all the pirated keys and, those who got Premium keys will enjoy one year protection and can renew if they desire when they about to expire.

What is Malwarebytes Amnesty Program?

The program page says “The Internet is full of pioneers and cowboys. It’s also got its fair share of pirates and trolls. Some of those bad guys may have duped you into purchasing a counterfeit version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Or perhaps we’ve simply detected a problem with your key. Not to worry. We’re here to help.”

“Malwarebytes is offering a free replacement key for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium customers who have been inconvenienced by piracy or abuse. This new key will be exclusive to you going forward.”

NOTE: If you’ve activated MBAM by entering your ID and license key normally like me (I’ve purchased Pro version lifetime license three years back through Cleverbridge and is working fine), then you don’t need to worry, your license key will continue to work, for confirmation, check the ‘My Account’ screen. Locating your license key window only appears for invalid keys.

Amnesty program won’t last for long, it could run for few weeks. Malwarebytes CEO, Marcin has given explanation about new licensing system here.
Source

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
I dont really think, this is the way to handle that "mess", for me it shows me that this "big" company has no enough resources to manage a big licensed system, however they do have their own reason for doing this, anyway crackers would be more than happy with this... but for an already free product i might say that this amnesty program is not a good idea...

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Hmm... don't you think it may cause little abuse on the system? If a user manage to got a counterfeit keys (intentional) and click the first option then it means a new valid/clean key will provide without any doubt circumstances?

Because keys of MBAM are widespread everywhere in the internet.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
The program is called Malwarebytes Amnesty and is the result of a far from optimum license key generation algorithm adopted a long time ago.

Although the mechanism was appropriate for producing a smaller number of unique serial numbers, it is completely inadequate for the current sales the company makes, and the risk of collision is high.

Pirates and victims of scammers get legit keys
Marcin Kleczynski, CEO and founder of the company, explains in a blog post published over the weekend that Malwarebytes has simply outgrown the initial plans and adopted a new licensing system that is currently rolled out in stages.

The first step is to collect data from clients and check the keys that are still active and who is using them. Because of the improper generation system, the same code may be assigned to both a pirate and a customer that paid for the product.

“If you are a true pirate, the furthest you will get is a year's worth of Malwarebytes. I wish we could handle each of the keys manually and determine if they are legitimate, but there are tens of millions of them and so we've automated the process a bit to cut them down. After that cut down, which is when a user selects an option, we will be going through the uses manually,” Kleczynski says.

Another reason behind this is that some customers may have been duped into paying for an illegal copy of the product. Such a case was recorded last year, when a US-based tech support scammer sold the same key for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium more than 2,400 times, getting $99 (currently €90) each time, making at the time more than $231,759 / €172,470.

Offer delivered in the product, honored without verification
The company is currently scanning for illegal copies of the product and asks users how they got their software.

One option is “I’m not sure where I got my key, or I downloaded it from the Internet,” and selecting it generates a legitimate key that works for the Anti-Malware version for one year, no other questions asked.

The other option is “I purchased my key” and picking this result is replacing the original serial number with a new one.

Kleczynski says that if anyone feels cheated about buying the software (since pirates now get the same benefit for free), the company would be happy to throw in free shirts or a free copy of Anti-Exploit ($24.95 / €25.54).

D

Deleted member 21043

Surely this just encourages people to pirate more? Since they'd end up getting a free, legitimate key... They should just request people buy a key otherwise the pro functionality will no longer be active whilst they are using the pirated key.

Although then people who were scammed would be at loss... So it's a difficult situation.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Malwarebytes CEO's offer of t-shirts & free Anti-Exploit Premium for legitimate paying customers represents the value of customer support.:cool: Reciprocally, the continued support of happy loyal clients is something piracy cannot steal & therefore never take away!:):)

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This isn't fair, many will have to pay for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium -those looking to switch from Free-, but pirates get it for free?

Surely this warrants the Premium version to not be worth a cent.

Good thing Microsoft reversed their terms for Windows 10.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
This isn't fair, many will have to pay for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium -those looking to switch from Free-, but pirates get it for free?

Surely this warrants the Premium version to not be worth a cent.

Good thing Microsoft reversed their terms for Windows 10.
Yes I agree. They can get unlimited premium access since they can enter another pirate key and get more and more years of protection...

So in all it's saying you have two options:

1) Get protection for $$$
2) Get protection for free

I'm not a big fan of this like my previous post states.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well as my connected post here, in terms of programming; a flaw of issues persist even its working smoothly. I think a strong verification process to obtain a deserve license but if not then totally encourage users to purchase a PRO version which is not in the blacklist.

+ MBAM should not be liable if you use blacklisted license (because of illegal operation) key unless came from their online shop which accidentally mark.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
heh, "fair" - a term used as if it denotes an absolute standard but yet it does nothing of the sort.

MBAM's alternative would be to say "tough, you bought a counterfeit copy, your loss not ours"--would that be, "fair"?

Besides, it is MBAM's product to handle how they choose; there's no nobility in envy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.