App Review Malwarebytes and HitmanPro vs Scriptors

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Scriptors (my term, but it will catch on) are a class of trojans ranging from vbs, Python, Java, and AutoIT. Seen way back at the dawn of the PC, this class of script malware initially was initially used for High and Noble purposes like making your computer curse at you, opening and closing the CD tray, and making desktop icons move when the mouse pointer hovered over them. Sadly the utility of using such scripts for malevolent purposes like Keyloggers, trojan downloaders, and info stealers of diverse kinds has become popular.

The issue with scriptors is that many (especially in the Corporate Environment) use scripts to automate various processes, and many security products will fail to distinguish between legitimate and malicious (no doubt because of a fear of messing with their False Positive rate).

As the opening of a small series of Scriptor videos, I'd like to concentrate on the utility of using either HitManPro and/or Malwarebytes in the detection of this class of malware. Please do not misunderstand me- both MB and HMP are very fine products that even I feel are an essential part of any Geeks security armamentarium.

But they do have a blind spot, and whenever you watch a Youtube review, you should question if a system is really malware-free after either of these products gives a computer a clean bill of health...

D

Deleted member 2913

So Comodo Autosandbox can protect against those scripts i.e it is able to distinguish between legit & malicious scripts?

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Salutations,

I look at Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes to only do cleaning after being infected with a piece of malware.
Could you include Reason Core Security in you review? Also, by any chance does Comodo Firewall
block Scriptors?
Here is the link for Reason Core Security below:
https://www.reasoncoresecurity.com/download-free.aspx

By the way, the music in the background can you provide a link?

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
What could be considered Part 2 of the Scriptor series will be Comodo Firewall against these malware files (and a few others); Part 3 will be Panda AV against the Scriptors and one other special file.

Moose- The band playing is Oregon. I made an mp3 from an album that my Father has, titled "In Performance". The song is an old one, Icarus, by the Paul Winter Consort. This particular live version (it really is pretty) I don't believe is available anywhere, but a studio version (pales in comparison) can be found here:

Last edited:
Reactions: Moose

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.