Malwarebytes Anti Malware uninstalled by Trojan

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtk42

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 9, 2015
Today on my windows 10 computer was a message that I had a Trojan. Long message with an 855 number to call. when I clicked the X the page disappeared then the cursor arrow was moving all over on its own. I have been running MBAM for nearly two years. When I went to check on it, it said it needed an update which I licked on. Then it disappeared. When I went to the apps list and opened the MBAM folder there were only three shortcuts shown, but no program. Any thoughts?

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Maybe it uninstalled the old version before installing the update/new one and then something went wrong or you have really something that uninsinstalled it.
I would download and install zemana antimalware at www.zemana.com.
You can also have a free license for one year, see link below
Unlimited Giveaway - Zemana AntiMalware Premium

let us know Zemana results

then you can try hitmanpro

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Malwarebytes does have the ability to enable self protection early in the boot process (this is not enabled by default).

bc6ef55aed8b413699e6bf1a14dd0cea.png

Without this, malware could definitely disable Malwarebytes as it would only have protection while fully booted. The technology in question is Chameleon - Chameleon - Free Malware Removal Tool. If I'm not mistaken, this can be run standalone (it comes in a zip file) in order to get Malwarebytes reenable on an infected system, or simply to install it if not already done.

Keep in mind (my own experience), having early boot protection enable has cause blue screens (BSOD). I'd imagine this had to do with another product that tries to do the same and could be why it is by default not enabled.

Reactions: ElectricSheep

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Does it not have Tamper protection?

The problem wasn't nessiceryily having to do with an infection. I had this multiple times and even with multiple checks of not being infected from the malwarebytes team. It happens to some users and doesnt to others. It also does Chameleon which prevents the program from being shutdown from malware. :)

Reactions: DardiM

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
It happened to me few months ago. Without infections

simbelmayne

Level 3
Verified
Jul 4, 2016
The viruses just don't like MBAM. That's how it will be now: virus enters the system, deletes the anti-virus, and assumes control over the whole PC!

davidp

Level 1
Verified
Aug 16, 2016
Ouch. It's terrifying to think of how easily a system can be compromised with even the slightest of user interaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.