Advice Request Malwarebytes blocked IObit driver booster

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

suma

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 18, 2013
Recently got an issue regarding Iobit Driver Booster, Malwarebytes has blocked and quarantined the setup file immediately as a suspicious file.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I would personally say this software is a PUP. Don't use this product. IObit driver booster in the past crippled my laptop's drivers before. I think if you're on Windows 10 then you don't really need to use driver updater software. Windows Update automatically download and install drivers for you.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
It would be best to get drivers from the original sites themselves rather than through these driver softwares because it could very well install the incorrect driver and destroy your whole system.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Recently got a issue regarding Iobit driver booster , Malwarebyte blocked and quarantine setup file immediately as suspicious file.View attachment 211478

Yeah, Malwarebytes just got more aggressive about Driver Booster.

It was discussed a little in this thread:
Never Download a Driver-Updating Utility; They’re Worse Than Useless

If you go and read on the MBAM forums, you can get more info... they do give instructions on how to whitelist Driver Booster while still considering it a PUP.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Driver updaters are taken as PUPs by security products since they are known to cause issues to the system. But I've had positive experience on it myself when I used it long ago. Fixed my network issue which the drivers from worthless manufacturer's website couldn't.
Aside from this, Malwarebytes has had bad history with Iobit. Years ago Iobit stole malwarebytes database for their security product. No company would response kindly to act like this.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Years ago Iobit stole malwarebytes database for their security product. No company would response kindly to act like this.
@Lobito Punky @Burrito
Malwarebytes have told me that the detection of IObit products is due to their agressive detection of PUPs and has nothing do with that incident. They target a lot more driver updaters, cleaning utilities etc, these days than they did a few years ago.
I would personally say this software is a PUP. Don't use this product. IObit driver booster in the past crippled my laptop's drivers before. I think if you're on Windows 10 then you don't really need to use driver updater software. Windows Update automatically download and install drivers for you.
Quite often Windows Update will not be able to find drivers for every device in your system, which is why software like Driver Booster can be useful. Also, Windows Update often only installs generic storage drivers and the proper OEM ones, can sometimes significantly improve disk performance. All driver update software will find incompatbie drivers at times, but Driver Booster does a better job at finding the proper drivers than a lot of the alternatives.

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
I don't have Driver Booster running in the background of course, disabled all of that crap, but I was having network issues (major ping spikes from low to 1000 in calls, games, everything). Device manager and Windows update found nothing, couldn't even find the driver on the Realtek website but when I tried Driver Booster, it sure found the driver and my ping issues stopped dead. I see IObit as "shady" - but Driver Booster did its job.

alakazam

Level 9
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
It also blocked JetClean for me. I gave the Malwarebytes trial a try yesterday and it immediately detected JetClean, a registry cleaner that I've been using for years without any issues, as a PUP. Then it quarantined it. I uninstalled Malwarebytes the same day.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
It also blocked JetClean for me. I gave the Malwarebytes trial a try yesterday and it immediately detected JetClean, a registry cleaner that I've been using for years without any issues, as a POP. Then it quarantined it. I uninstalled Malwarebytes the same day.
I think you can configure it to not automatically quarantine PUPs. Personally, I never use the real time protection in Malwarebytes.

I would advise against using JetClean, as it could cause problems.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Problems? What problems? It's been making my PC run faster and removing junk files for a long time.
Like 99% of registry cleaners, it has issues with false positives, which means it will sometimes delete registry keys that are not errors. Cleaning junk files will sometimes improve performance, but it is exceptionally rare for cleaning the registry to make any noticeable difference in performance.

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
If u clear install windows and a registry cleaner informs you that you can clean 200 registry entries something is totally wrong.
I personally have test a lot registry cleaners and all of them delete questionable entries.
While 99% of registry cleaners will delete needed registry keys, a clean install of Windows, will always have some unneeded registry keys. Examples of this are references to .missing .net files and some uninstall entries which contain no uninstall strings, so are not needed.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.