New Update Malwarebytes Browser Extension renamed to 'Malwarebytes Browser Guard'

ebocious

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 25, 2018
MBBE for Chrome was inaccessible earlier today; attempts to access the page returned a 404 error. MB staff promised an update and "something good coming."

Just attempted to access again, the same page loads an extension called Malwarebytes Browser Guard (I'm hoping to be the first to call it "MBBG"). The page detected my existing MBBE extension, and the blue button said "Remove from Chrome." I didn't wait to see if it would update automatically; I simply uninstalled MBBE and reinstalled MBBG.

Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 8.56.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 8.57.21 PM.png

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Calling all @Evjl's Rains. Oh wait, there's only one of you. Hey @Evjl's Rain can you please test this version to see if it's still good, or maybe better than the old version? You Da Man! (y)
It seems like they have messed it up
they remove the ability to scan downloaded files. It scored 0% in my new test

edit: something is wrong, I fixed the extension and it's working now -> scored 100% :emoji_grimacing:

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I really like Malwarebytes web protection, but both the Windows application and the extension dont work too well in my machine, too much slowdown and unfortunately this isnt different in this new browser extension.

dJim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
It seems like they have messed it up
they remove the ability to scan downloaded files. It scored 0% in my new test

edit: something is wrong, I fixed the extension and it's working now -> scored 100% :emoji_grimacing:
Wait.. thats not AV job ?

Reactions: oldschool

ebocious

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 25, 2018
Blocksi Web Filter is still my favourite :)
Blocksi isn't really effective against malware, unless you set the Unrated filter to block, in which case it becomes a whitelist. Then it flags any site that's not well known, whether it's hosting malware or not. And if you override it, then you open yourself up to infection.

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Blocksi isn't really effective against malware, unless you set the Unrated filter to block, in which case it becomes a whitelist. Then it flags any site that's not well known, whether it's hosting malware or not. And if you override it, then you open yourself up to infection.
This is exactly how I set it :) and I have almost no FPs :)

ebocious

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 25, 2018
This is exactly how I set it :) and I have almost no FPs :)
What do you mean no FPs? It has more than Malwarebytes. Any site that's not already known is flagged, whether it's malicious or not. Also, what happens if a legitimate site is compromised? Blocksi will still recognize it as a legit site, and let you proceed. It's a parental control extension, not a malware scanner.

Last edited:

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
What do you mean no FPs? It has more than Malwarebytes. Any site that's not already known is flagged, whether it's malicious or not. Also, what happens if a legitimate site is compromised? Blocksi will still recognize it as a legit site, and let you proceed. It's a parental control extension, not a malware scanner.
I mean, I haven't experienced any blocking of legitimate website

ebocious

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 25, 2018
I mean, I haven't experienced any blocking of legitimate website
I'm glad it hasn't happened to you yet. It happened to me almost daily, before I got rid of it. Do you have anything besides Blocksi, for when you land on an infected legitimate page?

ebocious

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 25, 2018
Blocksi + CleanBrowsing DNS
Both of them only block bad websites. But most infections come from good websites that have been hacked. Consider this: if you made your money in cybercrime, would it make sense to you to create a whole new website that nobody knows about, and plant your exploit there? How many computers do you expect to infect that way? It's a much better use of your time to find vulnerabilities in established websites that are bringing in traffic. You'll get lots of computers that way.

I use CleanBrowsing DNS myself, and highly recommend it. But you still need a scanner.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.