New Update Malwarebytes Extension for Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
First: thank you Azure Phoenix for your link in Post #46.

- and thank you all!

@russ0408: To uncheck Telemetry in Firefox too, I have in FF Options/Advanced/Data choices - this case unchecked: Share additional data (i.e., Telemetry)

@Decopi: thank you for your tests! Is there no conflict between BDTL and Browser JSGuard? Which will catch first

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
IMO, if we don't want to install this extension but still want hphosts full + partial malware blocking, we can add some following filters to ublock. I recommend the first 3. They are updated daily. EMD is huge.
Cons: ublock doesn't update its filter everyday so brand new malicious sites may get through
EMD
EXP
PUP

FSA
PSH

Decopi

Level 6
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Hi @Prorootect,

JSGuard has no conflict with most of the add-ons outhere.
It works only checking on-line malicious "java scripts" (it is a kind of mini NoScript filter).

If you have UMatrix, or UBlock or similar, all they will block scripts. It is your first security layer in the browser.
Also, they will block ads, trackers and 90% of the on-line garbage (even without any hosts file).
The problem is that time to time users need to unblock webpages. So JSGuard is needed, for detecting malicious java-scripts in unblocked webpages. Is the second layer.

However, JSGuard doesn't detect virus, malware and many other malicious URLs.
So, an extra Antivirus/Malware is needed. The problem is that Antivirus/Malware are designed to work with the entire computer, not specifically with browsers or on-line dangers. So, there we need this kind of add-ons like BDTL, or Malwarebytes, Avira, Avast, Qihoo etc, working specifically with browsers (third layer).
You can see there is no conflict, UMatrix + JSGuard + Antivirus/Malware add-on + Computer Antivirus/Malware... all of them are needed, are different, no overlap, no redundancy etc... it is a security combo designed for different functions/situations.

Some people argues that 1 antivirus is enough.
This is true... only depending on the user profile/needs.
Hard-users will need more than an antivirus.
In my tests, what JSGuard cought, the other didn't catch. The same for Antivirus/Malware add-on (for example, what BDTL add-on cought, BDAntivirus didn't catch).

For the Antivirus/Malware add-on, I chose BDTL because in my tests appeared better detecting the newest/latest malicious URLs.
And I preferred it, just because I have Comodo Firewall/CruelSister' settings as my computer Antivirus/Malware... it is binary, it stops every unknown/untrusted process.
So, I don't need "signature database" software. I prefer more Heuristics/BehaviorAnalysis software.
JSGuard falls in this same logic, because it doesn't use signature database. I extended my answer to you, in order to explain that UMatrix + JSGuard + BDTL + CF, all are part of my personal security combo, following my individual logic.

In brief, every user has his own profile, his own needs, his own security combo etc. In my opinion, the question here is not which software brand is better or worst, but which combo each user has in relation with his profile/needs. Also, a balance between security/performance is important (I don't like security software impacting system performance).
In conclusion, this explain why some software are preferred to other, and why different users prefer different software.

Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Hi @Prorootect,

JSGuard has no conflict with most of the add-ons outhere.
It works only checking on-line malicious "java scripts" (it is a kind of mini NoScript filter).

If you have UMatrix, or UBlock or similar, all they will block scripts. It is your first security layer in the browser.
Also, they will block ads, trackers and 90% of the on-line garbage (even without any hosts file).
The problem is that time to time users need to unblock webpages. So JSGuard is needed, for detecting malicious java-scripts in unblocked webpages. Is the second layer.

However, JSGuard doesn't detect virus, malware and many other malicious URLs.
So, an extra Antivirus/Malware is needed. The problem is that Antivirus/Malware are designed to work with the entire computer, not specifically with browsers or on-line dangers. So, there we need this kind of add-ons like BDTL, or Malwarebytes, Avira, Avast, Qihoo etc, working specifically with browsers (third layer).
You can see there is no conflict, UMatrix + JSGuard + Antivirus/Malware add-on + Computer Antivirus/Malware... all of them are needed, are different, no overlap, no redundancy etc... it is a security combo designed for different functions/situations.

Some people argues that 1 antivirus is enough.
This is true... only depending on the user profile/needs.
Hard-users will need more than an antivirus.
In my tests, what JSGuard catched, the other didn't catch. The same for Antivirus/Malware add-on (for example, what BDTL add-on catches, BDAntivirus didn't catch.

For the Antivirus/Malware add-on, I chose BDTL because in my tests appeared better detecting the newest/latest malicious URLs.
And I preferred it, just because I have Comodo Firewall/CruelSister' settings as my computer Antivirus/Malware... it is binary, it stops every unknown/untrusted process.
So, I don't need "signature database" software. I prefer more Heuristics/BehaviorAnalysis software.
JSGuard falls in this same logic, because it doesn't use signature database. I extended my answer to you, in order to explain that UMatrix + JSGuard + BDTL + CF, all are part of my personal security combo, following my individual logic.

In brief, every user has his own profile, his own needs, his own security combo etc. In my opinion, the question here is not which software brand is better or worst, but which combo each user has in relation with his profile/needs. Also, a balance between security/performance is important (I don't like security software impacting system performance).
In conclusion, this explain why some software are preferred to other, and why different users prefer different software.

Thank you for your detailed response, very informative! I know BDTL well, it is very good, I had it for a long time, before... I then do the BDTL download now everywhere, I follow your advice to have both, with Browser JSGuard...
- In fact personally I don't need more defenses than I have, cause I've very good behavior on the web, I don't surf on shady sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.