Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Has anyone thought to go to the MB forum and ask. I see nothing there, and I wonder if it's a fake
Thought so as well when I first read the title. I don't see any mention of this addon anywhere while searching through the Malwarebytes forum.

However I did noticed this post by one of the admins
Browser add-on/extention?

Based on that post, it appears they are unaware of any extension from Malwarebytes.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
If you search on Firefox Add-ons website for "malwarebytes", you found 4 results, this Malwarebytes add-on (in 4th position!) with 3 shady add-ons only:

Web Safer with VirusTotal - Last updated a month ago (Dec 16, 2017),
- user comment: Be careful! Icons in the panel with extensions did not appear, but the addon got to open some kind of left site with addons! Either the addon is just a curve or it's malicious. by IRainman, 9 days ago
VirusTotalSearch - Last updated 4 years ago (Sep 20, 2013), description in Italian too,
1 (single unique) user coment: very nice tool Only I miss a auto url scan function in it;) - by GiovanniGaballo, 4 years ago
VTotalSearch Url ( Experimental!) - Last updated 4 years ago (Sep 20, 2013), description in Italian too, no comments

- so 3 shady addons and this one in 4th position: Malwarebytes (Experimental!)

920304-64.png

Someone's experimenting with us. I think. He is Firefox add-ons website's User since Dec. 15, 2017

If I click on this icon (Google Images age of this icon: 2 days ago) this icon image unique result on Google Images (search: 920304-64.png) I found with address: ...s://addons.cdn.mozilla.net/user-media/addon_icons/920/920304-64.png?modified=1515734424 which redirect to: The page you were on is trying to send you to Malwarebytes – Add-ons for Firefox.
- with some other google image results pointing all to archive.li/1HJhX/ - eg.: https://archive.li/1HJhX/1583c562231a538fa0512521b54d81fbb31ce2a1/scr.png

So this icon exist since "2 days ago" only!
Malwarebytes icon which exist 2 days only, weird.
In icon "Properties" on my computer, I read: "This file comes from another computer and can eventually be blocked to protect this computer."

Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Now, Malwarebytes for Firefox add-on (version 1.0.4) is in first place in search results on Firefox add-ons website, followed by 3 others (weird) add-ons.

In Malwarebytes add-on Settings/Exclusions there are no exclusions, none.
In "About" tab, you have three Malwarebytes legal links:
Malwarebytes Products | Company | Forum
- and 'Send anonymous telemetry to Malwarebytes' case to untick, if you wish...

Reactions: given

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
On Malwarebytes forum topic, this response:
dcollins
  • Forum Deity
  • Staff

• 3,119 posts
Posted 1 hour ago

At Malwarebytes, we are constantly trying to improve our customer’s protection from digital threats and one of the better location in the system was the browser.

We were trying to set-up the Firefox extension so that we can start the internal Beta of this technology. The early availability, although unintended, still contains a lot of kinks to iron out as it is an early Beta and was meant for Malwarebytes employees only. However, since the cat is out of the bag, we encourage you to try it and do give us feedback.

What about other browsers? Yes we will be trying to support others, but we are still deep in development.

Our apologies for this hiccup, and please bear with us while we tune and tweak this product to release quality.

Link to this topic here (Post #10): Malwarebytes Extension for Firefox

Decopi

Level 6
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Thank you to @Prorootect for his post, confirming that the Malwarebytes add-on is official.
I personally liked very much this add-on.

However, today I did a lot of additional tests, and my final conclusion is that Bitdefender TrafficLight is the best add-on/extension (at least for me).
Most of the other add-ons (Malwarebytes, Avira, Avast, Qihoo, Norton etc) work with signature databases. And in general, all of them are "ok".
But Bitdefender TrafficLight add-on is clearly better in heuristics and behavior analysis. It is possible to observe this by testing the newest/latest malicious URLs (zero-day-attack). Other add-ons and Antivirus/Antimalwares just ignore most of the newest/latest malicious URLs. It is true that Bitdefender add-on has a millisecond delay (because it works with Cloud-engines), but it is almost imperceptible. It also is true that is not ad-blocker/anti-tracking, but UMatrix perfectly does the job.
Along with JSGuard add-on and UMatrix add-on... Bitdefender TrafficLight add-on seems to me the most balanced combo for performance/security for browsers.

Those users who like old malware signature databases, they can add an Antivirus like AVAST free (the lightest software in the market).
This combo will offer the best complement having both, a strong on-line behavior analysis with Bitdefender TrafficLight add-on in the browser, and a traditional security backup (signature database) with AVAST in the computer.

DavidLMO

Level 4
Verified
Dec 25, 2017
I asked about it over there yesterday and the general response was Huh? Even the insiders seemed to have no knowledge about it .

One would think they would do their beta testing on their OWN forums before turning the thing loose at the Mozilla DL addon site.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Thank you to @Prorootect for his post, confirming that the Malwarebytes add-on is official.
I personally liked very much this add-on.

However, today I did a lot of additional tests, and my final conclusion is that Bitdefender TrafficLight is the best add-on/extension (at least for me).
Most of the other add-ons (Malwarebytes, Avira, Avast, Qihoo, Norton etc) work with signature databases. And in general, all of them are "ok".
But Bitdefender TrafficLight add-on is clearly better in heuristics and behavior analysis. It is possible to observe this by testing the newest/latest malicious URLs (zero-day-attack). Other add-ons and Antivirus/Antimalwares just ignore most of the newest/latest malicious URLs. It is true that Bitdefender add-on has a millisecond delay (because it works with Cloud-engines), but it is almost imperceptible. It also is true that is not ad-blocker/anti-tracking, but UMatrix perfectly does the job.
Along with JSGuard add-on and UMatrix add-on... Bitdefender TrafficLight add-on seems to me the most balanced combo for performance/security for browsers.

Those users who like old malware signature databases, they can add an Antivirus like AVAST free (the lightest software in the market).
This combo will offer the best complement having both, a strong on-line behavior analysis with Bitdefender TrafficLight add-on in the browser, and a traditional security backup (signature database) with AVAST in the computer.
BTW, BitDefender TrafficLight belongs to BitDefender. How do you know it's not working with signature database?

Decopi

Level 6
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
BTW, BitDefender TrafficLight belongs to BitDefender. How do you know it's not working with signature database?

What I meant is that BDTL add-on/extension is better in heuristics and behavior analysis than signature databases, when compared to other similar add-ons/extensions:

1) I asked BD' support by email, and they explained me that the add-on uses both, Heuristics/BehaviorAnalysis (H/BA) and databases.

2) At the text-description of the add-on we can read:
"Part of the processing is done in the cloud with some intelligent small engines that make various checks on pages you're visiting enabling you to have top notch antiphishing and antimalware protection.
TrafficLight won't block an entire website if just some pages within are malicious. Only the potentially harmful elements are blocked, leaving you free to view the rest of the site if you so choose.
Advanced malware filter.
It is a free cross-browser add-on that intercepts, processes, and filters all Web traffic, blocking any malicious content and taking browser security to new levels."

It is needed some level of H/BA to perform the described tasks.

3) Malicious URLs tests:
I did a lot of tests with similar add-ons (BDTL, Avast, Avira, Norton, Qihoo, Malwarebytes etc).
I used the most important different sources, with new and old malicious URLs (including zero-day-attacks).
Most of the new malicious URLs (zero-day-attacks) are undetected by other add-ons, while BDTL catches at least 80% of them. We are talking about malicious URLs discovered from the last hours, so is very difficult to be in a list/database. It is obvious that BDTL detects them with something else. The number of false positives, also indicates that BDTL uses H/BA.

For example, If you test Malwarebytes add-on against BDTL, clearly you will observe that Malwarebytes doesn't detects the newest URLs, but BDTL detects them.
For URLs 48 hours old, Malwarebytes detects before BDTL detects. This happens because BDTL is more cloud intensive, and perhaps also due to H/BA. Signature database always performed better and quicker for old malwares.

In my case, I prefer zero-day-attacks detectors. So I choose BDTL.
It just fits better with my other security measures (on and off-line). BDTL is better for my security combo.
My understanding is that each user must have the security software/solution for your profile, strategy and personal combo.

PS: With regards to on-line malicious URLs, people living out of Europe/USA can't relay completely in signature databases. H/BA and real-time detectors/blockers are necessary as complements.

Last edited:

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Interesting addon but it can be useful in a few cases.
If someone is on W10 in my opinion he/she doesn't need it.
Because if there is a 3rd party security software installed free or paid Smart Screen is doing already a decent job.
If someone is using for example W7 like myself there will be a security software installed.
Most of them these days and by most i mean free antivirus offer web protection so you don't need this addon.
You may need it if for example you have MSE or Avira Free installed.
Just my opinion
This could include the robust hpHosts so it could still be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.