Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Clickbait, is online content that uses sensationalized headlines, text and imagess (the bait) to tempt a person into clicking on it. In stead of being linked to the content, advertisements are shown. These practises are questionable because of the redirects and questionable quality of the offerings.

Wondering how MBAM distinguishes click bait from normal ads. Also the example which triggers the MBAM click bait warning, seems to offer 'normal' paparazzi-tabloid content. Maybe MBAM wants us to read quality newssites?

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Clickbait, is online content that uses sensationalized headlines, text and imagess (the bait) to tempt a person into clicking on it. In stead of being linked to the content, advertisements are shown. These practises are questionable because of the redirects and questionable quality of the offerings.

Wondering how MBAM distinguishes click bait from normal ads. Also the example which triggers the MBAM click bait warning, seems to offer 'normal' paparazzi-tabloid content. Maybe MBAM wants us to read quality newssites?
I realized some pages marked as clickbaits have some political and celebrity's news
perhaps MB is sensitive to any content having these words :unsure:

MB also actively protects against clickbaits while scrolling. When I scrolled to a sensitive content in the page, it showed the popup but not anywhere else

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
I've been trying this for a few days and unfortunately as an ad blocker it is not very good, certainly not as good as uBO or Adguard, so you will still need a separate adblocker. Obviously it's up to the individual if they think it's worth having for its other qualities.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I've been trying this for a few days and unfortunately as an ad blocker it is not very good, certainly not as good as uBO or Adguard, so you will still need a separate adblocker. Obviously it's up to the individual if they think it's worth having for its other qualities.
I think the adblocker is based on hphosts ATS so the quality is expected to be lower than a proper adblocker

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
While MBAM extension may feel a bit paranoid while downloading programs or visiting malware sources for testing purposes, it does not interfere with online purchases, banking etcetera. I used to disable adblockers because in some odd online purchase cases, tracking is used to suggest other products (I discovered that uBlock's strict-blocking was the cause of the problem). To MBAM's credits on these website MBAM did not interfere with the online purchase.

Have also put MBAM om my wife's laptop, see whether she runs into problems (ad-blocking interfering with online purchase). So replaced Avast online security by MBAM (Avast was the only ad/phishing blocker which worked for her).

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
While MBAM extension may feel a bit paranoid while downloading programs or visiting malware sources for testing purposes, it does not interfere with online purchases, banking etcetera. I used to disable adblockers because in some odd online purchase cases, tracking is used to suggest other products (I discovered that uBlock's strict-blocking was the cause of the problem). To MBAM's credits on these website MBAM did not interfere with the online purchase.

Have also put MBAM om my wife's laptop, see whether she runs into problems (ad-blocking interfering with online purchase). So replaced Avast online security by MBAM (Avast was the only ad/phishing blocker which worked for her).
I agree that MBAM can be a bit paranoid with downloading programs. I could not figure out how to successfully get past the block. When I click on allow temporarily, or the allow permanently, it still stayed blocked.

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
There will be no need to install MB-anti-m to be able to enjoy of the kindly anti-phishing, Eset helps a lot on my PC against malicious websites, but with that security extension is a point into favor for block additional remote hosts, but a few days, i've using that ext and ublockorigin crashing a bit togheter, why i don't know, as far as I know ublock origin has problems with redirect and encryption extensions.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I agree that MBAM can be a bit paranoid with downloading programs. I could not figure out how to successfully get past the block. When I click on allow temporarily, or the allow permanently, it still stayed blocked.
Did you tried refteshing the page afterwards or closing and then reopening the browser?

Reactions: oldschool

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Added Malwarebytes for Firefox link to the first post, but easy to find on Firefox Add-on store.

Firefox Nightly + Malwarebytes addon - I noticed there's no Ads, but a white space. Is this intentional or because it's still in Beta?

1526489408000.png

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Added Malwarebytes for Firefox link to the first post, but easy to find on Firefox Add-on store.

Firefox Nightly + Malwarebytes addon - I noticed there's no Ads, but a white space. Is this intentional or because it's still in Beta?

View attachment 188697
MB's ad/tracking filter is like using hphosts to filter ad domains and there is no element hiding
it doesn't work like ublock or adguard and doesn't support their format so this is understandable
that's why no one should use MB extension as an ad filter

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
that's why no one should use MB extension as an ad filter
I wanted to see what the fuss was all about with Malwarebytes browser extension, but it was not my intention to use it an Ad-Blocker. I only keep FF to try a few Add-ons and Themes, but nothing else. Thanks for your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.