MalwareBytes free vs. Zemana free vs. Hitman Pro vs. Emsisoft EK Best 2nd line of defence for PC?

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I like Norton Power Eraser. False positives yes but those are usually programs and settings that do compromise security.

toto_10

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
I have now used the 14-days trial and I can't use the scan function. Zemana want a license key. So I can't scan for free or how does it work? Please help me out here.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I consider my Antivirus (Windows Defender) to be my Second Line of Defense, because it's more important to keep your OS, third-party software and knowledge updated.
  1. User clicks (You)
  2. Updated OS & Browser & Internet-facing Apps
  3. Antivirus
  4. ...
If I were to install an on-demand / scanner, these two would be my only options:
  • ESET Online Scanner [Link]
  • Emsisoft Emergency Kit [Link]
The latter being portable and available for off-line scanning, whereas ESET requires an Internet connection, hence the name 'Online Scanner'.

Remember that Windows 10 users on the latest stable build benefit more from the built-in security features, than that of users on Windows 7/8.1.

In the worse case scenario, nothing beats data backups and system image restoration.

P

plat1098

I use HMP and the Kit as on-demands; they're excellent, not perfect, but both scan in about 40 sec. ESET first time (with PUA enabled) took 18 min. 43 seconds. I'm pretty certain any subsequent scans would be around 10-11 min. based on past use, but still--even though CPU usage was low, it took a long time. I know MRG Effitas did test HitmanPro and Emsisoft last quarter but I don't recall ESET's scanner in there. Does anyone know if ESET is more thorough to where the lengthy scan time would be justified?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.