Malwarebytes just declared my license "Not Legitimate", i feel disgusted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
Salutations,Friends!
Just tried yesterday evening and the same happen to me as with woomera.
Waiting Malwarebtyes Support answer! NOT happy at all with them.

Hi,

Looks like there is something like server issue if your license is not recognized too. I hope that you saved the receipt confirming your purchase

Reactions: AtlBo

hakah

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 19, 2014
woomera : I had the same problem but I am a little bit lucky that I can provide purchase details to Help Centre for checking and clarification. There is some difference with the license issued between MBAM and other selling parties to cope with the new system. If you purchased it from MBAM direct, it still shows ID and Password as it is, but for other to be changed to another license code. MBAM is trying to eliminate all unused keys and pirated keys for the new system and thats why many licenses become void pending for clarification and justification.

woomera

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
ok so few more emails been tossed around and now they say they will give me a 1 year license.
so this is interesting, they get people to pay more for lifetime license's, then they remove lifetime subscriptions and say they will honor those who bought it, then they say their licensing system has been compromised and provide all with 1 year license's. Interesting business model!

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I am a Malwarebytes user and supporter that goes back to day 1.
I promise you if MBAM did this they had good cause to, I am not saying they don't make mistakes, but usually this is because of a pirated or over shared valid key.
I would create a profile here --> https://forums.malwarebytes.org and work this out if your being "on the level" here then let them help you.
If it was a pirated or over shared key then learn from this and let it drop. PeAcE
If you need help navigating the Malwarebytes forums add me as a friend there and I can help, my user name there is below.
_CyberGhosT_
PS: On the Malwarebytes forums there is no news of a "compromised" batabase they own. strange, but I will ask around more.

Marcin Kleczynski

Malwarebytes Developer
Aug 4, 2015
Marcin from Malwarebytes here! If your key is being rejected and you bought from Malwarebytes directly, ALL we need is the e-mail address you used. If you can't remember that, I don't know if you actually bought the software :).

If you send me the e-mail address and it's in our system, I will send you 3 lifetime keys for your trouble.

-mk

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Marcin from Malwarebytes here! If your key is being rejected and you bought from Malwarebytes directly, ALL we need is the e-mail address you used. If you can't remember that, I don't know if you actually bought the software :).

If you send me the e-mail address and it's in our system, I will send you 3 lifetime keys for your trouble.

-mk
Thanks Marcin

Gilf22

Aug 19, 2015
I have had a similar problem when I updated my computer and almost updated my wife's computer to Windows 10. After reloading the latest version of Malwarebytes to my computer my code was declared invalid. Like others I was asked for proof of purchase. I was able to go to Amazon and find the purchase order and send the Malwarebytes CSR a copy. I was also asked for our verification and ID codes. For my wife's computer(still in Windows 7) it was easy, I called up the Account screen and did a screen capture. I also took a couple pictures of that same screen with both of the original installation CDs in the picture. My computer had a fresh install of Windows 10 so all I had was a key code (thanks to MyKeyfinder), but no ID code. Man, they just just had to have that ID code. Being somewhat anal I still had a backup copy of my Win 7 OS partition so I was able to restore my original Windows 7 partition to another disk, put that disk in our "guest" computer, get the ID code and send it in also. The CSR said yes it was a valid code but was in use on another computer, hmm, wonder why.

So I have supplied the key codes, the ID codes, a copy of the original proof of purchase from 2012 ( that shows both copies bought at the same time--yea Amazon), screen shots of my wife's activation codes with both original disks in same shot and the results are in. My wife's copy is good to go---my copy appears to be in limbo. Two copies bought at same time, from the same place, used in the same house--one is good, one is "?". No further communication from the CSR since around noon on the 17th.

My conclusions:

1. The burden of proof is not only on you.
2. Proof and/or logic aside you are still subjectively quilty of misuse.

I am not sure if it is this particular CSR or company policy. It just seems a little unreasonable to me. Complete email thread (codes redacted), screenshots, and proof of purchase available to Malwarebytes or this forums moderator(s).

Gil

Marcin Kleczynski

Malwarebytes Developer
Aug 4, 2015
Gil, I'm really sorry that happened and I'm personally looking into it.

That being said, I want to warn future readers here that we had a huge problem with pirated keys getting sold on Amazon, eBay and others. Now that we're enforcing these keys, the sellers are slowly disappearing. Unfortunately, it's left us with a bit of a problem with customers that got scammed. We're erring on the side of caution and as long as they had proof of purchase, we give them a new key. Maybe we were a bit overzealous here. o_O

hakah

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 19, 2014
woomera: As far as I know, there will be no more lifetime license issued or sold and it is going to stick to 1-year license. I don't know what exactly is the reason and sincerely hope that your case can be righteously settled. Can you bargain to have 3-year license instead of just 1-year with MBAM support?

Gilf22

Aug 19, 2015
Gil, I'm really sorry that happened and I'm personally looking into it.

That being said, I want to warn future readers here that we had a huge problem with pirated keys getting sold on Amazon, eBay and others. Now that we're enforcing these keys, the sellers are slowly disappearing. Unfortunately, it's left us with a bit of a problem with customers that got scammed. We're erring on the side of caution and as long as they had proof of purchase, we give them a new key. Maybe we were a bit overzealous here. o_O
Last email I sent to Malwarebytes:
"Lets review the entire thread to date. I showed an invoice showing 2
copies were purchased. You asked if they were digital download or
actual hard copies and since the invoice clearly showed they were
scheduled for two day delivery to my address that should have been
pretty obvious. Next I showed you both original CDs, that's two (2) in
the same picture against the one of my wife's monitors showing both of
her codes on the screen. You said her code numbers were valid. Next
you had to have my ID code so I restored a backup of my original Win 7
to a spare SSD, booted it on our guest computer, recovered that ID code
and provided that to you. You said that code was valid but in use.

Now lets look at your "logic". Two copies, bought the same day, from
the same vendor, shipped to the same house, used by the same family,
both updated for thee years, one copy is good, the other is a fraud. At
this point I feel further conversation with you is like playing rock,
paper, scissors but with only the rock."

Last line was a little over the top, maybe I should have said " the Anti-Spock" or perhaps "Occam's Dull Razor".
It's only chump change but still!
Screenshotmod_zpsehclg15r.png

DSCN4186_zpskxhc4wpr.jpg

DSCN4188_zpsyohql6dz.jpg
I apologize for taking up the members time and I would like to thank you for your patience. Yes I feel better now. I should mention that the CSR did offer me a free 1 year subscription for 3 computers. I can pass on that offer.

Gil

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.