Advice Request Malwarebytes lifetime license - Can I use it on more than 1 PC?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 69673
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
Hello

I have a lifetime Malwarebytes license and have only had it on my computer. My sister was just hit whie on Facebook by a security warning so I looked at it and had to do a hard shut down in Vista.
My question is, how many devices is a license good for? I was thinking two? If so I would install my second license on her computer. She had a very old expired version of Norton and nothing else.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
if at same time.

Nope... Even if you don't use at same time. I've lost mine as I format my disk & clean-install win 8.1 several times. I know if I contact MB support team they will re-generate another lic for me, but MB ain't going well along with KIS. That's why I ain't asking for a new lic code.
They use some kinda license renewal count... It's not about the lic will be blocked immediately. Rather, it will be blocked if the lic is activated & re-activated certain times.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Nope... Even if you don't use at same time. I've lost mine as I format my disk & clean-install win 8.1 several times. I know if I contact MB support team they will re-generate another lic for me, but MB ain't going well along with KIS. That's why I ain't asking for a new lic code.
They use some kinda license renewal count... It's not about the lic will be blocked immediately. Rather, it will be blocked if the lic is activated & re-activated certain times.
Not happened to me (yet); did several shifts in the past. Normally you have access to a license control page (forget how they call it).

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
i have a lifetime license for it, not installed because i dont need it at the moment. im waiting the version implementing WFC. im curious about it.

they have changed their license check technique & telemetry a lot. You may not feel comfortable.

im waiting the version implementing WFC

does that mean they won't be available for companion-av anymore? Now Malwarebytes are pushing itself as a standalone av but still can be used as a companion av. Malwarebytes has ruined itself. Don't know whether I will ever use it in future.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
does that mean they won't be available for companion-av anymore? Now they are pushing themselves as a standalone av but still can be used as companion av. Malwarebytes has ruined itself. Don't know whether I will ever use it in future.
i stopped using them a long time ago, resources usage too high, detection sub-par, etc...
Indeed looks more like a "suite" than a companion AV.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
You can deactivate your license w/version 3. So it can be moved. Otherwise your license count will increase and result in your license being blocked. If that happens due to a situation in which you couldn't deactivate your license (failed drive, stolen PC...) the folks at MB will reset your license if you show proof of ownership (and that is near impossible to do if you didn't purchase through MB).

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
If you use it alone, is Malwarebytes resource usage acceptable?

every new version of MB comes with new sets of problems. In short, MB ain't that stable anymore. High Resource usage is solved in the recent version. Actually, that was caused by some mal-formed updates in january. Malwarebytes used to be a reliable product, now it's just a gamble.

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
the folks at MB will reset your license if you show proof of ownership (and that is near impossible to do if you didn't purchase through MB)

you may create an account but can't import a license. So if you haven't purchased a license from malwarebytes the account is just useless. & if you purchased the license from MB, then it is not lifetime license. To sum it up, Malwarebytes is tactfully terminating all those lifetime licenses.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
No. Lifetime licenses are generally 1 PC, unless stated otherwise.

Multi-Device and Unlimited Devices are also limited to x devices due to Fair Use policy.

As an example, Avira Prime (rolling subscription).
1528284806815.png

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
I really can't remember when I bought my lifetime if it was for just one pc or the entire household but thanks everyone for giving feed back. I think if scan on boot up is disabled it isn't too bad. Otherwise it takes forever to boot. I was going to put Voodoo on her pc but found it isn't for Vista. Might have to find some other AV then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.