Malwarebytes Premium 4.0.1 - A Worthy Contender

Product name
Malwarebytes Premium 4.0.1
Installation (rating)
3.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
Very modern but a bit difficult to navigate.
Almost non existant customization of the protection quality (except for the exploit protection)
Performance (rating)
1.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Proactive protection (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
The detection of zero day malware is probably one of the best and altough it missed two samples it prevented them for doing damage (in this case it blocked the payload and stopped ransomware from encrypting and then deleting the old files)

Web protection is quite good, it managed to block all 10 of my malicous sites, however, it only managed to block half or so of the 10 phishing sites (The extension did not improve the detection rate)
Browser protection (rating)
3.00 star(s)
Positives
    • Minimal setup required
    • Lightning fast scans
    • Easy to use
    • Simple and non-intrusive
    • Ransomware protection
    • Detects or blocks in the wild malware
    • Effective malware removal
    • Well designed, clear and easy to use interface
    • Multi-layer protection approach
Negatives
    • Advanced users may want more control
    • Short on configuration options
    • Noticeable negative system impact
    • Resource intensive tasks
    • Not as many features as some competitors
    • Can be complex in some situations
    • Can slow down your browsing speed
    • Slows down browsing the Internet
    • Opening, copying or saving a file is noticeably slower
    • Browser extension extras can be unreliable
    • Significant impact while playing games
Time spent using product
Reviewed over a 30-day period
Computer specs
Lenovo IdeaCentre Y710 Cube

Intel Core i5-6400RAM

16 GBGPU

geForce GTX 1070

Lenovo 364A (U3E1)

C: drive
Manufacturer: SanDisk
Interface: SATA
Capacity: 119 GB

D: drive
Manufacturer: Seagate
Interface: SATA
Capacity: 931 GBMonitor (Display)PnP
Recommended for
  1. All types of users
Overall rating
4.00 star(s)

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I've just given Mbam another whirl since I updated the PC with Ryzen 5, 32 GIG Corsair Vengeance RAM respectably decent ASUS board thinking there would be no impact, there is - The noticeable impact of KIS is unnoticeable, Adguard no difference - Mbam a much bigger impact. I'm not buying new gear to have it slowed down by a anti-malware program to my last build, it really is mad - If Mbam cant fix it fair enough but the fact it slows a half decent PC down makes it for me useless - I also tried Emsisoft, virtually no difference - Just my opinion.

Last edited:

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
EndangeredPootis in you're test did you pair malwarebytes with the browserguard? Browserguard will detect more sites as malicious then the antimalware application itself increasing the protection.
I am fully aware of that, but since I forgot to test their website protection it didnt really matter, I will do a quick test and update the thread.

Edit; updated, managed a good job on blocking all malicous sites, however it only managed to block half of phishing sites and the extension did not improve the detection rate.

Last edited:

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
I love malwarebytes and have a lifetime key but i cannot stand how sluggish it makes my system. they have improved detection but they need to work on getting it to run lighter!! They have all the resources to do so not sure why it's been so heavy for so long...
it is a ram hog. i guess most paying customers have the money to pay, meaning they likely have the money for newer systems which can easily handle the ram gobbling. so it's likely a management decision. eventually, everyone will have to update their systems, so they're going to wait it out, heheh.

Reactions: oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.