Is Malwarebytes Premium still worthwhile?

• Yes, it's a legitimate security capability.

• Yes, but only as a complimentary product.

• MBAMs best days are behind it. It's not that great anymore.

• MBAM is ineffective.

Results are only viewable after voting.

oldschool

Level 23
Verified
not sure if you are talking to me but my post was about MB now owning WFC, which makes it a suit eventually.
No, I was replying to @Local Host and just making a general statement. I don't have current experience with WFC but I don't see why MB owning them necessarily would make any big difference. It sounds like they intend to keep it free, and only @alexandrud does development on it. I'd say that's a plus.

Local Host

Level 12
Why you comparing a Security Product to a Browser is beyond me, not to mention Windows Task Manager is barely detailed.

But if you wanna compare metrics through the Windows Task Manager, at least make proper comparisons. As you can see Malwarebytes consumes +93% more resources than Kaspersky AV (on the service alone, if we compare the UI resource usage Malwarebytes will crumble even further).
No, I was replying to @Local Host and just making a general statement. I don't have current experience with WFC but I don't see why MB owning them necessarily would make any big difference. It sounds like they intend to keep it free, and only @alexandrud does development on it. I'd say that's a plus.
I was talking about the fact they already changed the WFC UI to match their other products, and is already consuming more resources compared to the previous versions.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 23
Verified
Why you comparing a Security Product to a Browser is beyond me, not to mention Windows Task Manager is barely detailed.

But if you wanna compare metrics through the Windows Task Manager, at least make proper comparisons. As you can see Malwarebytes consumes +93% more resources than Kaspersky AV (on the service alone, if we compare the UI resource usage Malwarebytes will crumble even further).

I was talking about the fact they already changed the WFC UI to match their other products, and is already consuming more resources compared to the previous versions.
So it is getting bloated, relatively. I do know the UI also connects to MBAM if you have it installed, and this type of (useless?) functionality only adds to the bloat. I'm with you on this. (y) My machine runs all the better with less 3rd party apps. :)

Gangelo

Level 1
Some users keep complaining about resources.
In my systems, MBAM with all modules on consumes 145 MB of memory and hardly any IO activity on my disks.
It is ridiculous in 2019 to talk about such small resource consumption.
A small SSD and 8 Gb of RAM are now dirt cheap, maybe some people should upgrade their systems?

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool
In my systems, MBAM with all modules on consumes 145 MB of memory and hardly any IO activity on my disks.
A small SSD and 8 Gb of RAM are now dirt cheap, maybe some people should upgrade their systems?
RAM isn't its problem, it makes any machine it's on feel so much damn slower. I also don't think my Samsung M.2 @ 2.8GBps read and Ryzen 5 2600 OC to 4.2GHz need upgrading.

Reactions: oldschool

jackwilli

Level 2
SSDs aren't dirt cheap in every country.

devjit2018

Level 6
RAM isn't its problem, it makes any machine it's on feel so much damn slower. I also don't think my Samsung M.2 @ 2.8GBps read and Ryzen 5 2600 OC to 4.2GHz need upgrading.
You need to set exclusions in both the softwares if u use mbam alongside an AV otherwise it'll slow down your PC. And if you plan on using mbam with Defender on windows 10 I'd say please don't. :cry: