Can be hard to navigate for a new user.
Performance (rating)
2.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
1.00 star(s)
Proactive protection (rating)
1.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
Ransomware protection is slow and clunky, most ransomware has time to encrypt your files before being detected
Detection ratio of less than 40% is the lowest out of any security product.
Good, not great, web protection.
Browser protection (rating)
3.00 star(s)
Positives
    • Easy to use
    • Simple and non-intrusive
    • Ransomware protection
    • Compatible with other anti-virus software
    • Effective malware removal
    • Well designed, clear and easy to use interface
    • Multi-layer protection approach
Negatives
    • Advanced users may want more control
    • Noticeable negative system impact
    • Resource intensive tasks
    • Antivirus capabilities are average at best
    • Weak protection against zero-day threats
    • Limited web protection
    • Not as many features as some competitors
    • Scans can be rather slow
    • Can slow down your browsing speed
    • Slows down browsing the Internet
    • Opening, copying or saving a file is noticeably slower
    • Significant impact while playing games
Time spent using product
Reviewed over a 30-day period
Computer specs
Lenovo IdeaCentre Y710 Cube

Intel Core i5-6400
geForce GTX 1070
C: drive
Manufacturer: SanDisk
Interface: SATA
Capacity: 119 GB

D: drive
Manufacturer: Seagate
Interface: SATA
Capacity: 931 GB
Recommended for
  1. All types of users
Overall rating
1.00 star(s)

polishpatriot

Level 2
Feb 4, 2020
works very well, one of the few things i can credit MS with. Of course it is not invulnerable, but quite close if properly set. and if on top you have good security habits, being infected is almost null.

Indeed, the only case they would work is that you don't do anything on your computer and keep it in the same state before those tools are installed (which is out-of-scope of 99.9% of home users).

As long as people have the attitude that they should be able to do what they want on their systems, then security will be broken. And that won't change until the Earth falls into the Sun and man and digital devices are no more. Period.

People are always the source of their own problems.

Reactions: Cortex

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
i might contest a couple of your conclusions. i haven't noticed any drag on my internet while using it. nor do i notice any difference with opening programs. and i do occasionally remove it from the start-up and run my system without it, so i do have a metric for subjective comparison. these two can be system subjective (i have it on a 2nd generation i7 - so a slower system, but with expanded ram), but you also said: "Not as many features as some competitors". this doesn't really ring true to me. they have numerous modules for protection. a couple were legit companys that were purchased and integrated into their pro version. i think their anti-exploit is one of the best available. They put a lot of attention into rootkit detection, they have their dns and browser plugins. they bought a firewall, and i expect them to eventually be adding it to the pro version. and they have a ton of settings to play with, i mean, you can even unregister it from the window's security center if you want to run it with defender (who else offers that?).

Bryan320

Level 8
Oct 11, 2019
scans are not slow with malwarebytes im surprised to see people say this. It takes only 3 mins for a full scan of my system... what kind of systems are you all running L0L?????????

Reactions: oldschool

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
scans are not slow with malwarebytes im surprised to see people say this. It takes only 3 mins for a full scan of my system... what kind of systems are you all running L0L?????????
Please factor in the CPU, Storage Type/Speed and Space Occupied, and Power Plan for portable devices.
[HDD 5400 RPM] with a [Power Saving Power Plan] VS [SSD] with [High Performance Power Plan] VS [SSD] with [Mains Power].

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.