Not open for further replies.
Infected operating system
Mac OS Mojave
Infected device issues
Still infected with weknow ac

jamesepowell

Thread author
Dec 19, 2018
I deleted chrome and all the files indicated in the instructions. I did not want to download a new chrome while safari was still infected. When I tried to follow the instructions for removing we know ac from safari, I had two problems:

1) The dialog box that appears for preferences>general will not allow me to change the homepage. It shows the homepage to be apple.com/startpage but when I open safari it goes to we know ac.

2) When I click on preferences>extensions, it shows no extensions.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello,
Can you please check if there's an AdminPrefs file on the device. If it's there, you should remove it.

1. Go to System Preferences.
  2. Click Profiles.
  3. The list will include an item “AdminPrefs“. Select this and click the remove “” button in the lower left corner.

Next, try this:

1. In Safari, choose Preferences from the Safari menu.
  2. In the window that opens, click the General icon (if necessary)
  3. Enter your desired home page in the "Homepage" field, but DO NOT press return!
  4. At the top of the window, click any of the other icons (eg, Tabs, AutoFill, etc).
  5. You may see a prompt asking for confirmation for changing the home page. If so, confirm.
  6. Switch back to the General page and check to make sure the home page has been changed.

Reactions: CyberTech
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.