Malwarebytes showed 0. Avast Pro picked up some. What to do next?

Denzo

Thread author
Feb 22, 2019
Hi, I am on Win 10 and bit defender is not "that" good as people always say lol. Also I have malwarebytes premium and avast pro premium and upon running full system scan from both, malwarebytes showed 0 detection but avast pro picked up infected pdfs and a couple of adwares and some others.

Both were on latest updates.

Now, I think there are still a couple of more infected files that avast couldnt pick so which antivirus app should I install now for checking again?

dJim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
Always try to search abouth the " special name every av/antimalware program gives to ( infections ) many of these are false positives sometimes.

Reactions: Weebarra and Nevi

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I would firstly run RKILL to kill malware processes if theres any:

Then just scan with emsisoft emergency kit + zemana antimalware, clean up , scan again...if it seems you cant get rid of them i would just re-install windows and be more careful in future, and read guides how to prevent such infections

If you dont store anything on your pc, just clean install. If you have something special that you want to keep just try out suggested things on this thread

Also about malwarebytes, try out malwarebytes adwcleaner, just to get out of adware

ChemicalB

Level 8
Verified
Sep 14, 2018
In addition to these good suggestions, it would be useful to have a clean and full system image to restore in case your system is too compromised by infected files.
You can use Macrium free to easily create an OS image.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
But uses also KSN and still valid to clean-up an infected system...
Still valid but Kaspersky Security Scan would have a better chance at detecting it. Saying that I'm not sure if KSS has the ability to remove malware or not.

Reactions: Weebarra

Denzo

Thread author
Feb 22, 2019
Thank you all for the suggestions. I am doing those 1 by 1 now.

Also I noticed this redirect in chrome no matter which link I click from which site.
Screenshot -

This srvtrck is everywhere whenever I click any link from any site. What do you think this is?

Reactions: Weebarra

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Thank you all for the suggestions. I am doing those 1 by 1 now.

Also I noticed this redirect in chrome no matter which link I click from which site.
Screenshot -

This srvtrck is everywhere whenever I click any link from any site. What do you think this is?

Oh... you have the r.srvtrck redirects, a browser hijacker.

That's not good.

That would mean you are infected.

You need to use the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool.

But I'm no expert on these things.

Please report to Double-Headed Eagle (or whatever his handle is..) in the "I'm infected" part of MT.

Last edited:

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
In addition to all above recommendations, you should run AdwCleaner and reset your browser profile.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I'd definitely get @TwinHeadedEagle to take a look for you. This is a fairly persistent browser hijacker, have a look to see it installed any extensions, remove any PUP software via Revo Uninstaller, this would also remove reg edits and other associated files with the software.

If you know the day of when you installed this you could use the default option via Control Panel and remove any PUP software on the day you installed something. CCleaner portable would remove the rest of the remnants after.

As suggested above, a reset of your Web browser would be ideal too.

~LDogg

Last edited:

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Your best bet is to make a thread here. Everyone here as offered you some really good advice on what to tools and checks to do but @TwinHeadedEagle is the expert for you and that way you have one person who can take control of the situation for you but bare in mind that with time differences etc that it may take some time for him and you to communicate so if possible, be patient.

Once you are all sorted out please come back and take a look at some of the other areas on MT and perhaps post in the security configuration forum to receive advice on how to protect yourself because it sounds to me that you had 2 AV's running at the same time and i know from experience that that isn't a good thing to do unless you are highly experienced and can configure certain settings. Good Luck (y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.