MalwareTester Config

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows Defender gets disabled once you install Microsoft Security Essentials, so it won't be considered as extra protection.

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
Other on demand scanners that could be recommended are hitman pro, and super antispyware, and emsisoft antimalware.
I recommend an additional scanner with MSE (Anvisoft Smart Defender, MBAM Pro, or Immunet.
I also recommend a firewall Comodo Firewall, ZoneAlarm Free Firewall, or Tinywall.
Windows Defender gets disabled by the MSE installer so it would not be in anti-spyware section.

Edit: Do you have any add-ons in Firefox? If you need any ideas you can check out my configuration: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Malware-Maniac-Security-Configuration-Updated-June-2012

P

Plexx

Consider having a Backup solution:
Macrium Reflect, Paragon Backup and Recovery Free or easeus backup free are good utilities.

Activate Windows 7 Firewall

Add CCleaner, Registry Defrag, Auslogics Registry Cleaner, Iobit Uninstaller (which happens to be portable) and finally a HDD defrag, like Puran or Auslogics and you should be good to go.

MalwareTester

Thread author
Jun 19, 2012
Biozfear said:
Consider having a Backup solution:
Macrium Reflect, Paragon Backup and Recovery Free or easeus backup free are good utilities.

Activate Windows 7 Firewall

Add CCleaner, Registry Defrag, Auslogics Registry Cleaner, Iobit Uninstaller (which happens to be portable) and finally a HDD defrag, like Puran or Auslogics and you should be good to go.
Running CCleaner, Thanks for the advice guys

P

Plexx

No problem. Hope the suggestions help you.
They do work for me but as in any other case, what works for one user might not fully work for another user so always keep an open mind and provide constructive criticism or feedback :)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Hello and welcome to MalwareTips. :)

There are options that you can pick for a free AV.
Have you considered the list below?
  • CO-MO-DO Internet Security
  • Avast Free + CO-MO-DO Firewall
  • AVG (but I wouldn't recommend it)

Also a few more things that you can add to Firefox and Chrome.

Firefox Addons
  • Ghostery
  • WOT
  • Ad-Block Plus

Hope that this helps :)

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Hello there!

I would suggest getting rid of MSE as it has a pretty bad detection rate.

Here are some good Anti-Viruses worth switching to!

Free:
Avast Free
AVG Free (Like McLovin said, Not really worth it but download its linkscanner if you wish as its pretty good)
Comodo Internet Security

Paid:
Bitdefender Internet Security
Kaspersky Internet Security
Norton Internet Security

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.