Marcin Configuration

Marcin

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 25, 2015
I think it is safe configuration. Not the best but only enough.

L

LabZero

Good security config.

Consider replacing Adblock Plus with Ublock Origin.
Compared to the ABP, Ublock Origin is pretty fast and uses much less system resources.
Considers to add HTTPS Everywhere browser extension.
The work of this extension is to force an https connection on any site is available, then on any site that supports an https connection.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Consider @Klipsh's suggestions, otherwise a good config. ;)

Thanks for sharing and keep those backups up to date. :)

Reactions: LabZero

Marcin

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 25, 2015
Thank you for your advice. Firstly I need to check Ublock on the web.

D

Deleted member 178

UAC is a must-enable, because it works natively at kernel level unlike other security softs. One click is not so annoying. Avast or any AVs can easily be shutdown without your notice by advanced malwares.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Other Software: You may add 7-zip, LibreOffice/WPS Office/Open Office/MS Office (choose one)

Add a backup browser just to be in case any issues might occur.

Well UAC will be your pretty safe last resort option against those drive by execution which terrible if you didn't notice it. You may add Voodoshield which acts the same concept however you need a little tweaks to maintain the sensitivity.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
As others have suggested replace ABD+ with uBlock Origin & HTTPS Everywhere in FF
I also agree with adding an additional browser
As for UAC I would advise everyone to enable it
Good config! Thanks for sharing it :)
I edited your thread title to include your username as required.For further edits please reference the following thread [MUST READ] How to update your security config without creating a new thread!

dannythesquirrel

Oct 24, 2015
When I use Firefox I do like to use No Script but it does involve a lot of tweaking on websites especially if they run a lot of javascript but it does a very good job at blocking tracking which you mentioned in your first post.

It might also be worth considering Sandboxie instead. If you're unsure about a website you can run it sandboxed at first to test it out. Some people run Sandboxie all the time and only leave their sandbox to update.

Marcin

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 25, 2015
UAC is a must-enable, because it works natively at kernel level unlike other security softs. One click is not so annoying. Avast or any AVs can easily be shutdown without your notice by advanced malwares.
What for? It is only illusion. Human is a weak cell in the chain. All of us need think. Any softwares can't save us. We have to be watchful. This is a recipe.

Marcin

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 25, 2015
Other Software: You may add 7-zip, LibreOffice/WPS Office/Open Office/MS Office (choose one)

Add a backup browser just to be in case any issues might occur.

Well UAC will be your pretty safe last resort option against those drive by execution which terrible if you didn't notice it. You may add Voodoshield which acts the same concept however you need a little tweaks to maintain the sensitivity.
I use Bandizip and MSOffice.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.