shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Yes, I tried the new VM thing, and it works well. Now you not only can explore your system images, you can even run them. But you first have to enable Hyper-V in Windows, otherwise Macrium Reflect will not even install that feature.

About Image Guardian, it is only in the paid version. Although it makes deleting and moving images more complicated, it is an awesome feature, as far as I am concerned. I haven't tested it against ransomware, but if it works as expected, it should be very strong. It doesn't let ANYTHING touch your backup files, except for Macrium Reflect itself.

Upvote 0

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Indeed!!! @upnorth This is sweet stuff!!

Everyone has been asking me "How does it work? In a nutshell Brian" - here is what I have been saying:

Basically, we got a image that we can now visualize! How sweet is this?! I mean really how cool!

An excellent video about viBoot 2 can be found here (as @upnorth has done):

A great step by step walk through of this great new feature can be found here: Macrium viBoot - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

Have any of you used this great feature!? I used the earlier version of it and I enjoy using this latest version! Just simply amazing software! In all honesty I may start using Macrium Reflect more so than Acronis True Image right now. Acronis True Image is great, but it doesn't have the great abilties that viBoot 2 has in Macrium Reflect!

Yes, I tried the new VM thing, and it works well. Now you not only can explore your system images, you can even run them. But you first have to enable Hyper-V in Windows, otherwise Macrium Reflect will not even install that feature.

About Image Guardian, it is only in the paid version. Although it makes deleting and moving images more complicated, it is an awesome feature, as far as I am concerned. I haven't tested it against ransomware, but if it works as expected, it should be very strong. It doesn't let ANYTHING touch your backup files, except for Macrium Reflect itself.

@shmu26 is correct! You must have Hyper-V in windows enabled. A lot of people asked me: "Now Brian, how on earth do I enable 'Hyper-V' in Windows 10?" Answer: Enable Hyper-V on Windows 10

Another person said "Well that is great, but I don't run Windows 10! I have Windows 8/8.1 though!" Answer: Install Hyper-V and create a virtual machine

Scroll down the page and you will see you have to enable this feature through Windows.

Others ask me "Well Brian... I don't run Windows 10, Windows 8/8.1, but I do run on Windows 7!" Answer: INSTALLING HYPER-V MANAGER ON WINDOWS 7…

@bribon77 maybe this can help you out a bit!

@boredog it is certainly worth looking at this great new feature! (y)(y)

Experience to date: viBoot is quite revolutionary to not only explorer your image as @shmu26 has pointed out, but now you could launch off your image to actually test things to see if it breaks. Warning: I'd create two images just in case - well you never can be too safe you know!

I'm liking Macrium Reflect more and more!! I hope you are too.

@frogboy have you used the new viBoot 2 yet? I'm finding it super cool!

Sincerely,

Brian

Upvote 0

boredog

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
When installing , even though I am on Windows 10 I still got the option to use Vboot and chose no to. They should look at what version Windows people and not even make that offer on Windows home.

Reactions: upnorth
Upvote 0

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
What reasons are there to stick w/version 6 (free)? Have any v6 capabilities been dropped from v7. If viBoot is of no interest, are there other v7 fetaures worth the upgrade?

Reactions: upnorth and shmu26
Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
What reasons are there to stick w/version 6 (free)? Have any v6 capabilities been dropped from v7. If viBoot is of no interest, are there other v7 fetaures worth the upgrade?
v7 claims that it does faster incremental backups, by monitoring changes in real time

Upvote 0

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
@Telos @shmu26

Go to this link: http://updates.macrium.com/reflect/v7/user_guide/macrium_reflect_v7_user_guide.pdf

Now look for "New in Version 7" that starts on page 23 also found on theright hand side if you use adobe Acrobat Reader DC. There are tons of new features more so than what meets the eye!! :D(y)(y)

Then we got new stuff with Version 7.1 such as the new Macrium Image Guardian!

Macrium Reflect v7 User Guide
v152
Copyright © 2017. Paramount Software UK Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
Page
New in Macrium Reflect 7.1
Macrium Image Guardian
Macrium Image Guardian Overview
grants write access to existing backups file for Macrium Reflect 7.1, any image tools
created by us, and optionally,
. All other process attempting to update
MS RoboCopy
existing backup files will be denied access.
MIG
protects local
volumes and allows Macrium Reflect 7.1 and later to use the
NTFS
protected volume as a shared network resource.
Macrium Image Guardian protection architecture

upload_2017-12-29_11-50-45.png

Look on page 40 of the same link: http://updates.macrium.com/reflect/v7/user_guide/macrium_reflect_v7_user_guide.pdf

More about Macrium Image Guardian: Macrium Software | Macrium Image Guardian

You may now know all about what is new in V7 and V7.1!

The free version doesn't appear to contain Image Guardian though... Let me know if I'm wrong about this could have missed this!

The free version does continue to get better and better as time progresses on!

~Brian

EDIT:

Here is a nice list of new goodies found in MR V7/V7.1:

Upgrade from Macrium Reflect v7 Free Edition - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

Upvote 0

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
I was wondering about free v6 versus free v7. Apart from VM is there reason to change?

Macrium Reflect v7 Free Edition has new features that were not included in v6 Free Edition:

1. Instant Virtualisation of Macrium Reflect images using viBoot. Create a running VM of a Macrium Reflect image in seconds
  2. Full support for Windows 10 Task Scheduling using the Windows Task Scheduler 2.0 API
  • Integrated viBoot 2
    • Instant virtualisation of Macrium backup images.
  • Task Scheduler 2
    • For compatibility with Windows 10 1605 (Anniversary Edition) and later.
  • Licensed for Commercial Use *Covers making backups of single machines and restored to the same PC (or a replacement PC in the case of hardware failure). Rescue media must be created on the PC to be restored.
    • This specifically excludes the following:
    • Repair shop scenario, where Macrium Reflect is used to copy the contents of a hard disk to a new device. Deployment scenario, where Macrium Reflect is used to copy a 'golden image' to multiple PCs.
  • Macrium Reflect 7 Free Edition is now licensed for use in a business environment. -- Massive change from before!
EDIT:

Full release notes can be found here: Macrium Reflect Patch Details

Last edited:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.