Version or Build no.
    System type
    64-bit operating system; x64-based processor
    Security Updates
    User Access Control
    Network Security (Firewall)
    Windows Defender Firewall
    Device Security
  • Windows Defender SmartScreen (Windows 10)
  • User Account
    Administrator
    Sign-in Accounts
    Malware Testing
    I do not participate in downloading malware samples
    Real-time Web & Malware Protection
    Windows Defender
    RTP - Custom security settings
  • Minor changes for Increased security
  • RTP - Details of Custom security settings
    Enabled PUA
    Virus and Malware Removal Tools
    Emsisoft Emergency Kit
    HitmanPro
    Malwarebytes
    Browsers and Extensions
    Google Chrome (primary):
    uBlock Origin
    uBlock Origin Extra
    I don't care about cookies
    h264ify

Mozilla Firefox (secondary):
    uBlock Origin
    uBlock Origin Extra
    I don't care about cookies
    Privacy-focused Apps and Extensions
    uBlock Origin
    uBlock Origin Extra
    1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare DNS) on all devices and router
    Windscribe VPN
    Password Managers
  • Chrome's default password manager
  • Web Search
  • Google
  • System Utilities
    Storage Sense
    CCleaner Portable (for cleaning cookies only)
    Data Backup
    Google Drive
    MEGA
    External HDD
    Frequency of Data backups
    Monthly
    System Backup
    Windows's default System Restore and System Image backup tool.
    Frequency of System backups
    Occasionally
    Computer Activity
  • PC Gaming
  • Browsing web and email
  • Watch movies and other entertainment content on the Internet
  • Download files from different sources
  • Office and work related tasks
  • Computer Specifications
    CPU: AMD A8-6410
    GPU: AMD Radeon R7 M260
    RAM: 8 GB
    HDD: 1 TB

Marko :)

Level 14
    Verified
    I realized I haven't posted my security configuration for a while now. There aren't really any news except changed antivirus program from Emsisoft to Windows Defender because my license expired. :)

I have four PC's at home; three of them are used regularly. They all have pretty much the same security and haven't been infected for a very long time (I, honestly, cannot remember last time any of my PCs was infected). I'd list all of my PCs specifications, but I'd have to check them out (that's what happens when you have more than two devices at home). :cool:

Last edited:

harlan4096

Level 63
    Verified
    Staff member
    Malware Hunter
    @Marko :) :
    • Set UAC always notify.
    • I would harden WD configuration with Hard_Configurator (@Andy Ful).
    • As for "Disk Imaging Backup", You may add Macrium Reflect Free or AOEMI Backupper, both are free and reliably.
    • As for "Web Privacy", You may also a VPN service.
    • A PassWord Manager would be welcome also.
    Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, hanks for sharing :giggle:

Last edited:

Level 14
    Verified
    @Marko :
    • Set UAC always notify.
    • I would harden WD configuration with Hard_Configurator (@Andy Ful).
    • As for "Disk Imaging Backup", You may add Macrium Reflect Free or AOEMI Backupper, both are free and reliably.
    • As for "Web Privacy", You may also a VPN service.
    • A PassWord Manager would be welcome also.
    Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, hanks for sharing :giggle:
    You tagged the wrong user. :ROFLMAO:

I set UAC to always notify on PCs that constantly make changes and install new programs. Since I have only few programs installed and I'm not installing them very often (nor do I run suspicious programs), honestly, UAC set to default it's pretty much enough for me.

Microsoft announced they are discontinuing default solution for System Image backup soon, so I'll eventually switch to one of these. Thanks for recommendation! :)

As for VPN, I actually have it, but I forgot to add it in the post. I use Windscribe.

Forgot to mention that too, I use Chrome's default password manager for non important passwords. All important accounts have strong passwords and 2FA enabled.

Mr.Wave

Level 17
    I would change google's own search page to atleast duckduckgo or startpage for more privacy , or better still switch to firefox to get even more privacy. I personally would get a different av that offers more protection , WD is very weak, thanks fro sharing your config with us ;)

Level 14
    Verified
    I would change google's own search page to atleast duckduckgo or startpage for more privacy , or better still switch to firefox to get even more privacy. I personally would get a different av that offers more protection , WD is very weak, thanks fro sharing your config with us ;)
    I used DuckDuckGo for some time and it wasn't showing me relevant results, I'll have to try it again. StartPage shows me US results and not local ones so that's the reason why I'm using Google.

I have Firefox installed, the only thing is I'm not using it as my main web browser. I have problems with font rendering, it doesn't show them correctly and that's the reason why I use Chrome. Besides that, Google fixes bugs very quickly and I haven't really had any problems with it whatsoever.

Thanks for suggestions!

LDogg

Level 29
    Verified
    My advice:
    • Add Emsisoft Browser Security & Netcraft to web browser
    • Add Syshardener to harden OS and add Firewall rules within settings
    • Consider compliment to Window Firewall such Tinywall or Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control
    • Add Configure Defender to further harden Windows Defender

Thanks for sharing your config, I do hope you like the advice that I have out forward for you.

~LDogg

Level 14
    Verified
    Try Qwant, Searx or IxQuick! I believe Qwant is maybe EU and elsewhere.
    Qwant doesn't show results from my country; SearX shows me weird results even if set to region Croatia. And the same thing is with StartPage.
    You can change the result location in startpage options
    Tried it, there is an option to show Croatian results first, but still results are not the same as on Google. I also like the search summary on the right side of the search results, as well as news articles that appear if the query was mentioned in the media. :)

Reactions: oldschool