I don't care about cookies
h264ify

Mozilla Firefox (secondary):
uBlock Origin
uBlock Origin Extra
I don't care about cookies
Maintenance tools
Storage Sense
CCleaner Portable (for cleaning cookies only)
File and Photo backup
Google Drive
MEGA
External HDD
System recovery
Windows's default System Restore and System Image backup tool.
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
Computer specs
CPU: AMD A8-6410
GPU: AMD Radeon R7 M260
RAM: 8 GB
HDD: 1 TB

Marko :)

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I realized I haven't posted my security configuration for a while now. There aren't really any news except changed antivirus program from Emsisoft to Windows Defender because my license expired. :)

I have four PC's at home; three of them are used regularly. They all have pretty much the same security and haven't been infected for a very long time (I, honestly, cannot remember last time any of my PCs was infected). I'd list all of my PCs specifications, but I'd have to check them out (that's what happens when you have more than two devices at home). :cool:

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@Marko :) :
  • Set UAC always notify.
  • I would harden WD configuration with Hard_Configurator (@Andy Ful).
  • As for "Disk Imaging Backup", You may add Macrium Reflect Free or AOEMI Backupper, both are free and reliably.
  • As for "Web Privacy", You may also a VPN service.
  • A PassWord Manager would be welcome also.
Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, hanks for sharing :giggle:

Last edited:

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
@Marko :
  • Set UAC always notify.
  • I would harden WD configuration with Hard_Configurator (@Andy Ful).
  • As for "Disk Imaging Backup", You may add Macrium Reflect Free or AOEMI Backupper, both are free and reliably.
  • As for "Web Privacy", You may also a VPN service.
  • A PassWord Manager would be welcome also.
Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, hanks for sharing :giggle:
You tagged the wrong user. :ROFLMAO:

I set UAC to always notify on PCs that constantly make changes and install new programs. Since I have only few programs installed and I'm not installing them very often (nor do I run suspicious programs), honestly, UAC set to default it's pretty much enough for me.

Microsoft announced they are discontinuing default solution for System Image backup soon, so I'll eventually switch to one of these. Thanks for recommendation! :)

As for VPN, I actually have it, but I forgot to add it in the post. I use Windscribe.

Forgot to mention that too, I use Chrome's default password manager for non important passwords. All important accounts have strong passwords and 2FA enabled.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
I would change google's own search page to atleast duckduckgo or startpage for more privacy , or better still switch to firefox to get even more privacy. I personally would get a different av that offers more protection , WD is very weak, thanks fro sharing your config with us ;)

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I would change google's own search page to atleast duckduckgo or startpage for more privacy , or better still switch to firefox to get even more privacy. I personally would get a different av that offers more protection , WD is very weak, thanks fro sharing your config with us ;)
I used DuckDuckGo for some time and it wasn't showing me relevant results, I'll have to try it again. StartPage shows me US results and not local ones so that's the reason why I'm using Google.

I have Firefox installed, the only thing is I'm not using it as my main web browser. I have problems with font rendering, it doesn't show them correctly and that's the reason why I use Chrome. Besides that, Google fixes bugs very quickly and I haven't really had any problems with it whatsoever.

Thanks for suggestions!

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
My advice:
  • Add Emsisoft Browser Security & Netcraft to web browser
  • Add Syshardener to harden OS and add Firewall rules within settings
  • Consider compliment to Window Firewall such Tinywall or Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control
  • Add Configure Defender to further harden Windows Defender

Thanks for sharing your config, I do hope you like the advice that I have out forward for you.

~LDogg

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Try Qwant, Searx or IxQuick! I believe Qwant is maybe EU and elsewhere.
Qwant doesn't show results from my country; SearX shows me weird results even if set to region Croatia. And the same thing is with StartPage.
You can change the result location in startpage options
Tried it, there is an option to show Croatian results first, but still results are not the same as on Google. I also like the search summary on the right side of the search results, as well as news articles that appear if the query was mentioned in the media. :)

Reactions: oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.