Solved Massive memory usage. dllhost.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiefersutherland

Thread author
Aug 2, 2014
I am trying to fix my father's computer. He said that it had been running very slow since April but I do not know specifically when it happened. He switched to using his old machine.

He had indicated that there was a memory usage problem causing his slowdown. I offered to then take his computer with me to try and fix it.

I ran Malwarebytes which came up clean. I then looked at task manager and saw that a few processes all called "dllhost.exe" were consuming massive amounts of RAM. There were multiple instances of this process. I then found this website and ran FRST. I have attached the resulting log

I do greatly appreciate any assistance

Attachments

• FRST_02-08-2014_00-35-55.txt
    27.7 KB · Views: 143

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Hello,

WARNING!!! ComboFix is complex and very powerfull tool, that is able to destroy your system completely if run in wrong hands. It is not intended for everyday use. It should be run only when asked and under guidance by trained malware removal expert. Don't run ComboFix on your own!!!

I would like to see ComboFix report.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
I didn't ask you to run ComboFix again, but to attach previous report. Please go to C:\ComboFix and attach ComboFix2.txt report.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Run FRST again.
Type the following in the edit box after "Search:"

Code:
ComboFix2.txt

Click Search File(s) button and post the log (Search.txt) it makes to your reply.

Chiefersutherland

Thread author
Aug 2, 2014
That is a cool program. I apologize for running ComboFix before you told me to. I had used it a few years ago on advice of an IT savvy friend of mine. I did not realize how potentially dangerous it was.

Attachments

• ComboFix2.txt
    18.6 KB · Views: 76

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Your PC seems clean. Let's run one more tool:

51a46ae42d560-malwarebytes_anti_malware.png
Scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
  • Install the progam and select update.
  • Once updated, click the Settings tab, in the left panel choose Detctions & protection and tick Scan for rootkits.
  • Click the Scan tab, choose Threat Scan is checked and click Scan Now.
  • If threats are detected, click the Apply Actions button. You will now be prompted to reboot. Click Yes.
  • Upon completion of the scan (or after the reboot), click the History tab.
  • Click Application Logs and double-click the Scan Log.
  • At the bottom click Export and choose Text file.
Save the file to your desktop and include its content in your next reply.

Chiefersutherland

Thread author
Aug 2, 2014
It didn't find anything. Any idea as to what is making the memory usage so high?

Attachments

• Malwarebytes 02-08-2014_3 09.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 100

Chiefersutherland

Thread author
Aug 2, 2014
No, I don't. I figured out that it was an .mp4 file on the desktop causing all the issues. I don't know why, but I deleted the file and it fixed it up

Reactions: Cowpipe

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
For future reference, this is actually a common problem caused by a memory leak in dllhost.exe when creating thumbnail previews for MP4 files (hence the MP4 file on your desktop being the cause).

I won't go into the exact technical reasons why this happens, but basically dllhost gets stuck in a loop and eats up RAM and CPU. This can be caused by installing a specific Windows update known as KB2670838.

If you still experience problems with dllhost.exe crashing, there are two solutions. Either prevent windows from creating thumbnail previews (Go to Performance Options and uncheck "Show thumbnails instead of icons"), or uninstall the KB2670838 update and hide it to prevent it from re-installing (this is a performance upgrade not a security update and so should be safe to remove).

Hope that clears it up for you and glad to hear your computer is running smoothly again :)

Reactions: Nico@FMA

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Good to know that :)

Below you will find my thoughts about securing your machine. Go ahead through it, you will benefit from some useful advice about safe computing.

Recommended reading:
icon_exclaim.gif
MUST READ - security tips: Computer Security - a short guide to staying safer online. Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet
icon_exclaim.gif
MUST READ - general maintenance: What to do if your Computer is running slowly?

Recommended additional software:
icon_arrow.gif
TFC - to clean unneeded temporary files.
icon_arrow.gif
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware - to scan your system from time to time in search for malware.
icon_arrow.gif
Malwarebytes' Anti-Exploit - to prevent plenty of mostly exploited vulnerabilities.
icon_arrow.gif
McShield - to prevent infections spread by removable media.
icon_arrow.gif
CryptoPrevent - to secure yourself from very severe CryptoLocker infection.
icon_arrow.gif
Unchecky - to prevent from installing additional foistware, implemented in legitimate installations.

The following will implement some post-cleanup procedures:

=> Please download DelFix by Xplode to your Desktop.

Run the tool and check the following boxes below;
checkmark.png
Remove disinfection tools
checkmark.png
Create registry backup
checkmark.png
Purge System Restore

Click Run button and wait a few seconds for the programme completes his work.
At this point all the tools we used here should be gone. Tool will create an report for you (C:\DelFix.txt)

The tool will also record healthy state of registry and make a backup using ERUNT program in %windir%\ERUNT\DelFix
Tool deletes old system restore points and create a fresh system restore point after cleaning.

My help is free for everybody.
If you're happy with the help provided and/or wish to buy me a beer for the assistance you received, then you can consider a donation:
Thank you!​

Stay safe,
TwinHeadedEagle :)

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Since this issue appears to be resolved, I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please contact me or any staff member with the address of the thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.