Battle MBAE vs Malwarebytes browser extension vs OSArmor

digidis

Thread author
Aug 10, 2018
Hello all, I am currently reviewing my security setup. I have been using MBAE for years and just found out MBytes now has a browser plugin. Does it make MBAE redundant? I also just started using OSArmor to supplement WD. Is MBAE and the browser plugin redundant with OSA? I am leaning towards OSA plus the plugin and abandoning MBAE at this point. What do you think?

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Hello all, I am currently reviewing my security setup. I have been using MBAE for years and just found out MBytes now has a browser plugin. Does it make MBAE redundant? I also just started using OSArmor to supplement WD. Is MBAE and the browser plugin redundant with OSA? I am leaning towards OSA plus the plugin and abandoning MBAE at this point. What do you think?
MBBP (the plugin) protects from malicious websites and downloads.
MBAE protects not only the browser, but also other apps by preventing exploits.
OSArmor mitigates exploits after they run.
You can use all of them in the same time, they will play nicely without overlaps

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

@imuade gave a pretty good summary of each product. As he mentioned they all cover different aspects, so you can run them all together if you choose(y)

With that being said you asked a very good question, do I need them all together? Personally I think you can do away with MBAE and keep the other 2 if you so choose. OSA does offer very good protection, but make sure to take the time to understand what it covers and what the advanced features can do as well. In regards to MBAE, I think you will get different opinions on whether an Anti exploit is needed. Personally I think that by keeping the OS and software up to date helps a lot, not to mention getting rid of software you rarely if not ever use further reduces your attack surface. In regards to MB extension, its well liked here and performs well (I use it), again whether you need it will also be up to you. Browsers like chrome and Edge have very good built in protection against malicious sites already, so I would suggest trying it out and see for yourself if you need it. That being said, these exertions/softwares are not perfect either, so one must always practice safe browsing/computing habits regardless of what software/extensions you decide to use :)

digidis

Thread author
Aug 10, 2018
I think at this point I can stick with OSA and MBBP and abandon MBAE as I want to keep the system as light as possible for music production and everyday use. I also have Sandboxie for non-everyday use and weekly macrium backups just in case. I probably can easily get by without even OSA so OSA is the "make me feel more secure" layer to supplement WD.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.