App Review Mcafee and ESET- Boot Time Protection

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
H

hjlbx

Good grief !!

Has anyone recently checked if COMODO resolved their boot time protection issue from a few years back. Last time I remember, COMODO Engineering stated that the typical user wouldn't start a malicious application early enough... LOL.

On my system I set auto-sandbox to Block, and it would block malware that modified startup entries to launch upon reboot. So I thought, maybe mistakenly, that the issue was fixed.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Hi guys-

1). BitDefender Paid actually performs better (quicker and broader) than the Free version.
2). About Emsisoft and K- I'm putting aside my personal feelings and will do a K test- it's already scripted, just have to pick music that won't get blocked in Germany. Emsisoft is another issue entirely. In conversations with them they made it clear that certain preconditions should be met prior to my testing and if they aren't I shouldn't bother to include them. As the preconditions are unacceptable to me, I'll have to pass on doing any E testing. Note that this has absolutely nothing to do with the products themselves, good or bad.
3). music by Lisa Gerrard- God, I LOVE her voice.
4). hj- funny you should bring up Comodo. Setting the sandbox above default will stop stuff like this with ease. However there is another issue that I brought to their attention a couple of months ago that was troubling. Not a problem as yet, but hope for a resolution with the next build.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Hi guys-

1). BitDefender Paid actually performs better (quicker and broader) than the Free version.
2). About Emsisoft and K- I'm putting aside my personal feelings and will do a K test- it's already scripted, just have to pick music that won't get blocked in Germany. Emsisoft is another issue entirely. In conversations with them they made it clear that certain preconditions should be met prior to my testing and if they aren't I shouldn't bother to include them. As the preconditions are unacceptable to me, I'll have to pass on doing any E testing. Note that this has absolutely nothing to do with the products themselves, good or bad.
3). music by Lisa Gerrard- God, I LOVE her voice.
4). hj- funny you should bring up Comodo. Setting the sandbox above default will stop stuff like this with ease. However there is another issue that I brought to their attention a couple of months ago that was troubling. Not a problem as yet, but hope for a resolution with the next build.
Thanks a lot:) Yes absolutely beautiful voice need to look her up:)
Looking forward to more reviews:)

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Salutations/Greetings!;)

Topic: Boot Time Protection.

Could you post a lists of the one's that AV's Pass/Fail on Boot Time Protection?
And post every couple video's reviews until your finish with the Boot Time
Protection tests?

Kind regards,

Reactions: Der.Reisende

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Good to see that products like ESET and Bitdefender definitely focus on the prevention status which mainly runs throughout the background although in such reality where boot protection is purely crucial and better when AV is active/running on background as threat exposed.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.