Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
According to Mcafee website.
App Boost: How it works
Document ID: TS102835

Summary
One of the PC performance-enhancing features in your McAfee anti-virus software is App Boost. When enabled, App Boost helps your apps run faster and saves you time by:
  • Assigning more dedicated CPU (processor) power to your apps
  • Increasing the priority of your app's hard drive Input/Output (I/O)
These changes ensure that tasks are completed more quickly, and your applications run more efficiently. App Boost achieves these results in the following ways:
  • App load boosts
    App Boost monitors a list of commonly used apps -- Microsoft Office apps, browser apps, and photo or video editing apps are a few examples. When you open one of these apps, App Boost helps it open (or load) faster by giving it additional processing resources.
  • Active app boosts
    App Boost monitors your open apps. When an app is in your active window (the front window that you are currently focused on), App Boost gives it more processing resources.
How does McAfee calculate performance improvements?
We conduct performance tests using third-party standardized tools*. The results of these tests, shown in the table below, show the performance benefits provided by App Boost, and the improvements that can be expected on PCs under heavy load:
appBoost3.png

* Tests used include PCMark 10, Geekbench, and internal automation tools and methods that replicate typical user workloads.

The graph below shows the Geekbench score of a PC with, and without, App Boost:
appBoost2.png

The graph shows how, under varying load levels, the system is most responsive with App Boost enabled. That translates into a faster experience for all kinds of tasks, with less chance of lag while viewing media or performing other resource-intensive operations.

Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some answers to additional questions that you might have about App Boost:
  • How do I know if App Boost is working?
    1. Open your McAfee security product.
    2. Click the PC Performance tab.
    3. Click the Speed up apps tile to see details about App Boost:

appBoost4.png

Your frequently used apps are shown in a list together with the number of boosts applied to each app. This list and number of boosts show that App Boost is working.
      NOTE: If the apps in the list are grayed out, App Boost is disabled.

• How do I enable or disable App Boost?
    3. Click the Speed up apps tile.
    4. Click the App Boost toggle to enable or disable App Boost.
  • Do I need to take any other action?
    No. When App Boost is enabled it automatically performs its tasks on resource-hungry applications, helping you perform all your PC tasks more quickly.
  • Who can I contact if I have additional questions?
    If you have additional questions about App Boost, contact Technical Support.

What do you think of this feature?

P.S I found a useful link
AV-Comparatives: McAfee App Boost 1.0

Nestor

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
According to Mcafee website.
App Boost: How it works
Document ID: TS102835

Summary
One of the PC performance-enhancing features in your McAfee anti-virus software is App Boost. When enabled, App Boost helps your apps run faster and saves you time by:
  • Assigning more dedicated CPU (processor) power to your apps
  • Increasing the priority of your app's hard drive Input/Output (I/O)
These changes ensure that tasks are completed more quickly, and your applications run more efficiently. App Boost achieves these results in the following ways:
  • App load boosts
    App Boost monitors a list of commonly used apps -- Microsoft Office apps, browser apps, and photo or video editing apps are a few examples. When you open one of these apps, App Boost helps it open (or load) faster by giving it additional processing resources.
  • Active app boosts
    App Boost monitors your open apps. When an app is in your active window (the front window that you are currently focused on), App Boost gives it more processing resources.
How does McAfee calculate performance improvements?
We conduct performance tests using third-party standardized tools*. The results of these tests, shown in the table below, show the performance benefits provided by App Boost, and the improvements that can be expected on PCs under heavy load:
appBoost3.png

* Tests used include PCMark 10, Geekbench, and internal automation tools and methods that replicate typical user workloads.

The graph below shows the Geekbench score of a PC with, and without, App Boost:
appBoost2.png

The graph shows how, under varying load levels, the system is most responsive with App Boost enabled. That translates into a faster experience for all kinds of tasks, with less chance of lag while viewing media or performing other resource-intensive operations.

Here are some answers to additional questions that you might have about App Boost:
  • How do I know if App Boost is working?
    3. Click the Speed up apps tile to see details about App Boost:

appBoost4.png

Your frequently used apps are shown in a list together with the number of boosts applied to each app. This list and number of boosts show that App Boost is working.
      NOTE: If the apps in the list are grayed out, App Boost is disabled.
  • How do I enable or disable App Boost?
    3. Click the Speed up apps tile.
    4. Click the App Boost toggle to enable or disable App Boost.
  • Do I need to take any other action?
    No. When App Boost is enabled it automatically performs its tasks on resource-hungry applications, helping you perform all your PC tasks more quickly.
    If you have additional questions about App Boost, contact Technical Support.

What do you think of this feature?

P.S I found a useful link
AV-Comparatives: McAfee App Boost 1.0
It's something useful but working only on Chrome.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Mcafee Web Boost

Web Boost: How it works
Document ID: TS102840

Summary
One of the PC performance-enhancing features in your McAfee AntiVirus software is Web Boost, an extension for Google Chrome.

Web Boost speeds up your web browsing, and helps you save data and battery life by stopping videos from auto-playing on the webpages that you visit.

NOTE: Web Boost is currently available only for Google Chrome running on Microsoft Windows 10.x and 8.x.

How to install Web Boost
Web Boost is turned off by default. To turn on Web Boost:
  1. Open your McAfee software.
  2. Click the PC Performance tab:

webBoost2.png

3. Under Speed up browsing:
    1. Click Set up.
    2. Follow the prompts.

NOTES:
      • If you do not get the Web Boost installation dialog during the setup process, see TS102849.
      • For additional information about the Web Boost installation process, see TS102848.
Web Boost installs as a Chrome browser extension. If the installation is successful, a Web Boost icon appears in the top-right corner of your Chrome window:
WebBoost1.png

How Web Boost pauses videos
When you visit a webpage that contains videos, Web Boost will pause any videos that try to play automatically. When videos are paused, a blue badge appears over the Web Boost icon showing how many videos have been paused on that webpage or browser tab.

When a video is paused, you see the following message overlaid on the video:
Paused by McAfee Web Boost:

paused.png

Click the "Paused by McAfee Web Boost" message, or the play button on the video, to restart playback.

Here are some answers to questions that you might have about Web Boost:
  • How can I turn Web Boost on or off?
    1. In Chrome, click the Web Boost icon in the top-right corner.
    2. Click the stacked menu (hamburger) icon in the top-right corner of the Web Boost screen.
    3. Click Auto-play settings.
    4. Toggle the Auto-play settings button to turn Web Boost on or off.

• How do I know that Web Boost is working?
    In Chrome, look at the Web Boost icon in the top-right corner. If it has a blue overlay containing a number as shown above, Web Boost is working and has stopped video playback on the current tab. The number shows how many videos Web Boost has paused on that tab.

NOTE: If you have multiple tabs or webpages open, click each one and view the Web Boost icon to see if videos have been paused on these other pages.

• Can I tell Web Boost to always play videos on a particular website?
    Yes. You can 'whitelist' websites so that Web Boost will not stop videos from auto-playing on those websites. To whitelist a website:
    1. In Chrome, go to the website that you want to whitelist.
    2. Click the Web Boost icon in the top-right corner.
    3. Click I want videos to auto-play on this site.

NOTE: To turn off whitelisting of a website, click the Web Boost icon and click Stop auto-play videos on this site.
  • How can I manage websites that I have whitelisted?
    1. Click the Web Boost icon in the top-right corner.
    2. Click the stacked menu (hamburger) icon in the top-right corner of the Web Boost screen.
    3. Click Auto-play settings. The list of whitelisted websites is shown.
    4. Remove individual whitelisted websites by clicking the trash can next to the website name.

• Can I see statistics and additional information?
    Yes. You can see the total number of videos paused by Web Boost, and the amount of data you have saved:
    1. In Chrome, click the Web Boost icon in the top-right corner.
    2. Click the 'more' down arrows in the bottom-right corner of the Web Boost screen.
    3. The Summary shows the total number of videos stopped, and data that you have saved:

webBoost5.png

If you have additional questions about Web Boost, contact Technical Support.

It's something useful but working only on Chrome.

There are two different features. One is App Boost which is related to speeding up running processes. And the other one “Web Boost” which is a browser extension only available on Google Chrome.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Doesn't seem to me like something Windows 10 couldn't do on its own with built-in Xbox Game mechanism.

Anyways, I was expecting to see some weird explanation like:

You launch your game--it connects to McAfee servers which render and compress the game--the game data travels through optimum optical fiber until it reaches NASA installations--a whole group of software engineers transform the data into Diet Coke and back into a better optimized game--travels over-the-air directly to your PC and gives you clean stable 120FPS 120Hz in your 60Hz monitor

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Doesn't seem to me like something Windows 10 couldn't do on its own with built-in Xbox Game mechanism.

Anyways, I was expecting to see some weird explanation like:

You launch your game--it connects to McAfee servers which render and compress the game--the game data travels through optimum optical fiber until it reaches NASA installations--a whole group of software engineers transform the data into Diet Coke and back into a better optimized game--travels over-the-air directly to your PC and gives you clean stable 120FPS 120Hz in your 60Hz monitor

Btw, this is not a game booster, this is App booster.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.