McAfee Free Antivirus - Beta Thread

Discussion in 'McAfee' started by Petrovic, Aug 19, 2015.

1. JakeXPMan

JakeXPMan Level 15

Oct 20, 2014
    Windows 7
    I'm sure the detection/protection will be more effective then Windows Defender.
  2. Spawn

Spawn Administrator
    Staff Member Content Creator

Jan 8, 2011
    Windows 10
    I believe this is their aim. I haven't got a compatible PC to test the Beta, so cannot comment on the details of how it runs.

Remember Windows 8, 8.1 and now 10 all have built-in basic Antivirus protection - which is completely free. ;)
    Securezone and MrXidus like this.
  3. moonshine

moonshine Level 6

Apr 19, 2011
    Metro Manila
    Windows 10
    Windows Defender is more than enough if you know what you're doing but it's all more fun when you've got more choices.
    Securezone, MrXidus and Spawn like this.
  4. Malware Man

Malware Man Level 9
    AV Tester

Feb 2, 2013
    I.T Student
    Newfoundland, Canada
    MacOS High Sierra
    #24 Malware Man, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    I've been changing antiviruses almost everyday lol. I'm trying to stay with one for at least a bit. I'm a bit worried to even try it out cause it looks so basic and probably sucks up resources like the full version. Are you trying to tell me you're also Canadian and your ISP is Bell? ;)

I'm curious to see if it has nag screens or big ads advertising the full version or how much features is stripped out of it.

I may bite the bullet and just try it. What can possibly go wrong? :p I could end up loving it or uninstalling it as soon as it gets installed. ;)

My mom already asked me do I want McAfee cause Bell is always nagging us about how we need antivirus protection. I'm like please no, don't torture me with that terrible software. Maybe if you guys offered ESET or Kaspersky I'd love to take it XD.

Our other ISP (Rogers) isn't much better and offers Norton instead.

I question when anything is FREE cause there always seems to be some kind of catch to it. Still looking for the Windows 10 catch. :D
    JakeXPMan likes this.
  5. jamescv7

jamescv7 Level 61

Mar 15, 2011
    Web and FileMaker Developer
    Windows 10
    A new contender but if we are going to compare with Panda and Bitdefender then McAfee at the moment is place in bottom in terms of overall maturity.

For sure limitations may occur but their detection rates are quite good so that should stand up for that. The thing as concern is how limited it could be to provide protection from others.

As clearly, since it relies through clouds then only a minimal offline fingerprints should observe.

Hence a quite surprising that McAfee considered to have a free version. Simplicity is now target for such any users at current lifestyle.
    OokamiCreed, MrXidus and Piteko21 like this.
  6. jtshadow92

jtshadow92 Level 1

Jul 17, 2015
    This is the memory usage, its pretty far. Although Process Validation Service has constant CPU usage.
    I did try the EICAR virus test, it detected the file in the zip drive and deleted it. After that, I couldn't close the folder no longer,
    I had to restart Windows Explorer. I'm sure that'll get worked out.
  7. Cch123

Cch123 Level 7

May 6, 2014
    I have my hunch that this is the maturing version of McAfee Raptor with a few extras. According to the description of Raptor,

This would explain the lack of scanning option. It is meant to be McAfee's next generation machine learning/behavioral cloud AV engine, which necessarily means it can't scan stuff since it does not use signatures. The previous McAfee Raptor Beta had an interface that isn't exactly eyecandy, and this version seems to have given it a cosmetic lift if it really is McAfee Raptor. Also, it adds extras like a firewall etc.
  8. russ0408

russ0408 Level 4

Jul 28, 2013
    Retired truck driver
    Ontario Canada
    Windows 10
    Where are you in Canada Malware Man. I'm in Hamilton and I'm with Roger's to.
  9. Yash Khan

Yash Khan Level 51

Oct 22, 2012
    Thats quite a few number of processes there...I dont like software with many processes.
  10. MalwareT

MalwareT Guest

Unless you have 4MB and Windows 95. I will start with beta testing today.
    frogboy likes this.
  11. MalwareT

MalwareT Guest

I have 196 processes running so i don't complain about that :)
  12. Ray Redbad

Ray Redbad Guest

So. No one has yet picked up on the... firewall. (As seen in post #4 screenie.) Quite rare in the free stuff; Roboscan and Bling Defender Pro Free are that come to mind.

GUI overlay for Windows firewall seetings?
    Or McAfee "built-in"?
    Configurable or automatic?
    Logs? Alerts?
  13. Yash Khan

Yash Khan Level 51

Oct 22, 2012
    I guess FW on the GUI is for Windows FW enable/disable.
    Those who are trying it can give the right info on FW.
  14. JakeXPMan

JakeXPMan Level 15

Oct 20, 2014
    Windows 7
    Nice post, I'm actually far from Canada. Living in Florida, but born raised mid-west US. We have bell-south down here, and it magically turned into ATT in this area anyway. It was or is still a "Bell" so the ISP offers McAfee still, and AOL did with my email account. I tried it once or twice but second time in 2013... I tossed it away, too heavy firewall. lol.

and yeah changing AV's is fun, they each bring their own style to the PC,... *heads off to the Antivirus changing room*... :p

I don't have a favorite one anymore, I been more impressed then usual lately of ones like Avast, AVG, and Comodo Internet Security is still pretty nifty and customizable.
  15. Mops21

Mops21 Level 22

Oct 25, 2014

Any infos for the final version release info date

With best Regards
  16. Petrovic

Petrovic Level 61

Apr 25, 2013
    Somewhere In nowhere
  17. Paul B.

Paul B. Level 4

Dec 21, 2014
    The product looks interesting. Using McAfee and fast in the same sentence without negation is something I haven't seen in a long time. I think it's a smart move by Intel.

Would someone explain how cloud-basing helps performance? I can't get around the concept that in the end the local machine has to do the processing.
  18. Spawn

Spawn Administrator
    Staff Member Content Creator

Jan 8, 2011
    Windows 10
    Can I install McAfee Free Antivirus Beta without an account?

Intel Security is McAfee rebranded, since they own the rights.
    Securezone likes this.
  19. Petrovic

Petrovic Level 61

Apr 25, 2013
    Somewhere In nowhere
  20. TheSuperGeek

TheSuperGeek Guest

Is there a changelog ?