Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
So it will probably be another basic and light alternative to Windows Defender?
I believe this is their aim. I haven't got a compatible PC to test the Beta, so cannot comment on the details of how it runs.

Remember Windows 8, 8.1 and now 10 all have built-in basic Antivirus protection - which is completely free. ;)

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
If you do, let me know how it GOES. lol.
I also can get the full version from my ISP too... and why would we torture our hardware with it?! ;)

The free version I'd be much more likely to use. (If light or effective?) at least free wouldn't be covered in Pro molasses. :p

I've been changing antiviruses almost everyday lol. I'm trying to stay with one for at least a bit. I'm a bit worried to even try it out cause it looks so basic and probably sucks up resources like the full version. Are you trying to tell me you're also Canadian and your ISP is Bell? ;)

I'm curious to see if it has nag screens or big ads advertising the full version or how much features is stripped out of it.

I may bite the bullet and just try it. What can possibly go wrong? :p I could end up loving it or uninstalling it as soon as it gets installed. ;)

My mom already asked me do I want McAfee cause Bell is always nagging us about how we need antivirus protection. I'm like please no, don't torture me with that terrible software. Maybe if you guys offered ESET or Kaspersky I'd love to take it XD.

Our other ISP (Rogers) isn't much better and offers Norton instead.

I question when anything is FREE cause there always seems to be some kind of catch to it. Still looking for the Windows 10 catch. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: JakeXPMan

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
A new contender but if we are going to compare with Panda and Bitdefender then McAfee at the moment is place in bottom in terms of overall maturity.

For sure limitations may occur but their detection rates are quite good so that should stand up for that. The thing as concern is how limited it could be to provide protection from others.

As clearly, since it relies through clouds then only a minimal offline fingerprints should observe.

Hence a quite surprising that McAfee considered to have a free version. Simplicity is now target for such any users at current lifestyle.

jtshadow92

Level 2
Verified
Jul 17, 2015
grWmX6Y.png

This is the memory usage, its pretty light..so far. Although Process Validation Service has constant CPU usage.
I did try the EICAR virus test, it detected the file in the zip drive and deleted it. After that, I couldn't close the folder no longer,
I had to restart Windows Explorer. I'm sure that'll get worked out.

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
I have my hunch that this is the maturing version of McAfee Raptor with a few extras. According to the description of Raptor,

McAfee Raptor is a real-time behavior detection technology that monitors suspicious activity on an endpoint. Raptor leverages machine learning and automated, behavioral-based classification in the cloud to detect zero-day malware in real time.

This would explain the lack of scanning option. It is meant to be McAfee's next generation machine learning/behavioral cloud AV engine, which necessarily means it can't scan stuff since it does not use signatures. The previous McAfee Raptor Beta had an interface that isn't exactly eyecandy, and this version seems to have given it a cosmetic lift if it really is McAfee Raptor. Also, it adds extras like a firewall etc.

russ0408

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 28, 2013
Where are you in Canada Malware Man. I'm in Hamilton and I'm with Roger's to.

D

Deleted member 2913

grWmX6Y.png

This is the memory usage, its pretty light..so far. Although Process Validation Service has constant CPU usage.
I did try the EICAR virus test, it detected the file in the zip drive and deleted it. After that, I couldn't close the folder no longer,
I had to restart Windows Explorer. I'm sure that'll get worked out.
Thats quite a few number of processes there...I dont like software with many processes.

R

Ray Redbad

So. No one has yet picked up on the... firewall. (As seen in post #4 screenie.) Quite rare in the free stuff; Roboscan and Bling Defender Pro Free are that come to mind.

GUI overlay for Windows firewall seetings?
Or McAfee "built-in"?
Configurable or automatic?
Logs? Alerts?

D

Deleted member 2913

I guess FW on the GUI is for Windows FW enable/disable.
Those who are trying it can give the right info on FW.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I've been changing antiviruses almost everyday lol. I'm trying to stay with one for at least a bit. I'm a bit worried to even try it out cause it looks so basic and probably sucks up resources like the full version. Are you trying to tell me you're also Canadian and your ISP is Bell? ;)

Our other ISP (Rogers) isn't much better and offers Norton instead.

I question when anything is FREE cause there always seems to be some kind of catch to it. Still looking for the Windows 10 catch. :D

Nice post, I'm actually far from Canada. Living in Florida, but born raised mid-west US. We have bell-south down here, and it magically turned into ATT in this area anyway. It was or is still a "Bell" so the ISP offers McAfee still, and AOL did with my email account. I tried it once or twice but second time in 2013... I tossed it away, too heavy firewall. lol.

and yeah changing AV's is fun, they each bring their own style to the PC,... *heads off to the Antivirus changing room*... :p

I don't have a favorite one anymore, I been more impressed then usual lately of ones like Avast, AVG, and Comodo Internet Security is still pretty nifty and customizable.

Mops21

Level 34
Verified
Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014
Hi

Any infos for the final version release info date

With best Regards
Mops21

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
Detection powered by cloud (good for detection and resource usage)
The product looks interesting. Using McAfee and fast in the same sentence without negation is something I haven't seen in a long time. I think it's a smart move by Intel.

Would someone explain how cloud-basing helps performance? I can't get around the concept that in the end the local machine has to do the processing.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Can I install McAfee Free Antivirus Beta without an account?

Intel Security is McAfee rebranded, since they own the rights.

Reactions: Securezone
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.