App Review McAfee LiveSafe Review

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
McAfee has never been my cup of tea really and I'm quite surprised it fared so well regarding the malicious URLs. Unfortunately, only a few of the remnants were opened, so we can only guess what might have happened.

I don't agree with the opinion to take the decision away from the user though. Countless times AV solutions and firewalls have given me nothing but trouble by blocking stuff – mostly silently to make it even worse – in order to have me jump through countless hoops just to be able to run a legitimate, yet rarely found program.

The user is given all the info he needs in order to make an informed decision and clicking on "Accept" out of a lack of attention should have the result it implicates. Breeding more mindless drones by protecting everybody from themselves just isn't a great development in general. Think before you act, that's all it takes. Have Darwin take care of the rest.

That attempted download of HMP shows perfectly fine how annyoing it'd be if there wasn't a workaround to let it go through in spite of the warning.

The only thing I agree on is the placement of the buttons in the fullscreen browser warning. "Accept" comes even before "Block" and that's a bit misleading. I'd place it elsewhere and probably color it red, with the block option colored green. Of course, it clearly says what it does, so I have to consider it a minor imperfection.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
McAfee is no longer in the years which performed very poor. (The overall improvements occurred since Intel acquired McAfee)

We can see that it's backbone went on McAfee SiteAdvisor and Artemis, however the major contribution came from Siteadvisor since the concern point against web-based threats.

Artemis in other hand is more on heuristics but prone on FP rates.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.