App Review McAfee WebAdvisor Tested (Computer Solutions)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I wouldnt install anything from McAfee. I had it installed on edge when there were no other extensions available(except norton) doing the filtering on microsoft store. The process it makes on background tasks was just taking too many resources imo and i ended removing it completely

Im not sure where this guy did get his links from, but when evjl is testing these extensions the results often tend to be MORE brutal and not just every extension has 100% results

Thanks for sharing this with us. And @Evjl's Rain anytime you have spare time to do another test, include this on it

Nestor

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
I wouldnt install anything from McAfee. I had it installed on edge when there were no other extensions available(except norton) doing the filtering on microsoft store. The process it makes on background tasks was just taking too many resources imo and i ended removing it completely

Im not sure where this guy did get his links from, but when evjl is testing these extensions the results often tend to be MORE brutal and not just every extension has 100% results

Thanks for sharing this with us. And @Evjl's Rain anytime you have spare time to do another test, include this on it
I think it deserves to be included in evjl tests.To be honest, i had it installed on Edge for some period of time and it was very effective,saved me two times when Edge failed, but i didn't notice using so many resources.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Mcafee WebAdvisor is solid.there was a bug that it couldn't block the URLs that end to malicious Exe but it seems they fixed it.
Agreed!It is a great addition to your security setup for blocking malware links and phishing sites.Added to that it also scans every downloads. Overall it is a well designed product.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
The browser extensions rehab program is working well, therefore some food for thought

Without any security extensions Chrome would have passes with flying colours just using these two flags:

1547804959961.png

Also the CS test of Emsisoft Browser Protection oonly HTTP links are used, so these two settings would also provided a 100% Malware link (drive by/download) protection of unsafe (executable) content and the browser would have shown an explicit red warning (Not Secure) sign in the URL address bar

1547805250448.png

Add a simpel content rule to block scripts from HTTP://* and those malware/phishing website are paralyzed (no need for uBlock third party blocking). All trustworthy government/financial/shopping websites have HTTPS connections. So when <> script blocked sign appears in the address bar, you should leave it as is, unless you are absolutely sure it is a safe website (e.g. with okla speed test for example).
1547805434436.png

You could enable OKLA speedtest or leave it as blocked, because there enough alternatives running from HTTPS (e.g. fast.com or most likely the OKLA speedtest clone of your ISP/Telco/Cable company).

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
The browser extensions rehab program is working well, therefore some food for thought

Without any security extensions Chrome would have passes with flying colours just using these two flags:

View attachment 206639

Also the CS test of Emsisoft Browser Protection oonly HTTP links are used, so these two settings would also provided a 100% Malware link (drive by/download) protection of unsafe (executable) content and the browser would have shown an explicit red warning (Not Secure) sign in the URL address bar

View attachment 206641

Add a simpel content rule to block scripts from HTTP://* and those malware/phishing website are paralyzed (no need for uBlock third party blocking). All trustworthy government/financial/shopping websites have HTTPS connections. So when <> script blocked sign appears in the address bar, you should leave it as is, unless you are absolutely sure it is a safe website (e.g. with okla speed test for example).
View attachment 206642

You could enable OKLA speedtest or leave it as blocked, because there enough alternatives running from HTTPS (e.g. fast.com or most likely the OKLA speedtest clone of your ISP/Telco/Cable company).

Nice tip!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.