McShield Anti-Malware Tool for USB--a good option?

McShield Anti-Malware Tool for USB

• Thumbs up

Votes: 37 78.7%
  • Thumbs down

Votes: 10 21.3%

• Total voters

TwinHeadedEagle

Removal Expert
Staff member
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
ESET
There will always be false detection with MCShield, and it is something you need to know about this tool. It is so powerful against all kinds of USB spreading malware, so you should expect few FPs, just like so many other security programs.

You can set to use Interactive mode that will always ask you before deleting/renaming suspicious files.

conceptualclarity

Level 19
Content Creator
Trusted
Antivirus
ESET
I don't know what algorithm is going on but I guess it's nuking out files located at the root folder of any USB drive.

Here are the PF found on my bootable USB drive.
  • LIST.COM
  • NTLDR
  • ntdetect.com
  • grldr
  • windefault
  • ren.bat
"nuking out files located at the root folder of any USB drive." Then do you think those detections were false positives?

I think this setting is good enough for me.

Thanks, WinXPert, for the screenshot and for showing your configuration. Somebody said this was all about heuristic detection, but I see the "in-depth signature scan". Just curious: why did you mark that for "only in the case of infection."

What would "paranoid mode" be like? And what are "Fastest" and "Bulletproof"?

WinXPert

Level 24
Trusted
AV-Tester
OS
Windows 7
Antivirus
Qihoo 360
Bulletproof = more PF

Try copying notepad, regedit, cmd, mspaint to your USB drive (root folder)

conceptualclarity

Level 19
Content Creator
Trusted
Antivirus
ESET
Bulletproof = more PF
I don't know what PF stands for, but it appears to mean detections.

Try copying notepad, regedit, cmd, mspaint to your USB drive (root folder)

Paranoid mode is extremely aggressive to any executable code, so you should only use this if you work in Nuclear facility :D
So Paranoid Mode is completely clarified!

I don't know what algorithm is going on but I guess it's nuking out files located at the root folder of any USB drive.

Here are the PF found on my bootable USB drive.
  • LIST.COM
  • NTLDR
  • ntdetect.com
  • grldr
  • windefault
  • ren.bat
I still don't understand about these detections. Were they overzealous or satisfactory?

Tornado

MCShield is a very lightweight program mainly used to detect malware on USB's and certain auto-run files, it is compatible with almost every anti-virus and anti-malware, you should use it :)

OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Microsoft
Search for McShield threads here on MalwareTips, one developer said if they see the need to update its signatures, then they will. They believe the current signatures and its powerful heuristics are enough for the kind of malware their product tries to kill.

Latest Posts

Latest Threads