MediaFire offers 50GB of free cloud storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Cloud storage company MediaFire now offers 50 GB of free storage, which will undoubtedly please those wanting more space to upload their precious files. Fifty gigs of storage is actually more than the popular free solutions from Dropbox, Microsoft, and Google offer at the moment.

For no money, you get a 200 MB per-file limit and 15 one-time links per day. The 200 MB file limit is certainly not going to break any records, so if storage for bigger files is what you need, the $9 per month tier increases the cloud storage limit to 250 GB, 4 GB file size limit, 500 one-time links per day, and no removal for account inactivity.

Even if that is not enough, there is a $49 plan which offers 1000 GB of cloud storage, 10 GB file limit, 5000 one-time links per day, and five free additional users per account.

With the closure of Megaupload, and the termination of file-sharing on Wupload, MediaFire and RapidShare remain the two major cloud storage sites dedicated more to content sharing than content collaboration.

Source

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Interesting, If only my upload speed was decent I'd actually consider using a cloud service. Doesn't matter, My 1TB External HDD doesn't cost $49 a month and doesn't require internet to access my files. Thanks. :)

Side note: Competitive prices indeed.

ZWMSY.png

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
Malware Maniac said:
MrXidus are you talking about dropbox?

For comparing yes I am, You may go here to see the difference in prices compared to Mediafire. https://www.dropbox.com/pricing :)

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I'd personally rather have my own storage than trusting a website, only bad thing is hdd's are a bit pricey these days.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
MRF71 said:
I'd personally rather have my own storage than trusting a website, only bad thing is hdd's are a bit pricey these days.

Prices are leveling out again, at least where I am. I bought a 500GB portable HDD for €45 recently.

I currently use Box for only storage and have a 25GB allowance. All important backups go on the hard drive however.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Portable HDDs FTW. The government can snoop around your files so that's not good for us. :)

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
BoXX28 said:
Portable HDDs FTW. The government can snoop around your files so that's not good for us. :)

Case 1 : i save my files on my portable HDD, it fall down , then i can't access my precious datas = "damn, i knew i should use cloud storage ! " (happened to me)

Case 2 : i save my files on Cloud, someone took a look on it = "Damn, i knew i should use a portable HDD ! "

:D

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
BoXX28 said:

Case 1 : i save my files on my portable HDD, it fall down , then i can't access my precious datas = "damn, i knew i should use cloud storage ! " (happened to me)

Case 2 : i save my files on Cloud, someone took a look on it = "Damn, i knew i should use a portable HDD ! "

Solution = 2 HDD'S

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
Tom172 said:
Umbra Corp. said:
BoXX28 said:

Solution = 2 HDD'S

Aye aye to that!

Picture related: My External HDD's. :) The 320GB one was given to me as a suprise thanks for cleaning his business PC with no charge.

QeRso.png

Both have my most precious and important files backed up. So even if one managed to break, I'm not in deep water. Thanks. /smart

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
MrXidus said:
Tom172 said:
Umbra Corp. said:
BoXX28 said:

Solution = 2 HDD'S

Aye aye to that!

Picture related: My External HDD's. :) The 320GB one was given to me as a suprise thanks for cleaning his business PC with no charge.

QeRso.png

Both have my most precious and important files backed up. So even if one managed to break, I'm not in deep water. Thanks. /smart

How much do those go for?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Currently use Dropbox for everything. Love the easy interface it has. Mind you if I need to send big files to friends and what I do use Mediafire, but I guess nothing can beat the 2 hard drive solution, only thing you will have there is there is what if the BOTH hard drives crash? I am slightly more confident that Dropbox will crash less then a hard drive. My own opinion. Thanks.

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
MRF71 said:
MrXidus said:
Aye aye to that!

http://i.imgur.com/QeRso.png

How much do those go for?

I got my 1TB EXHDD from a store called Dick Smith. Can't remember what I paid exactly, I have the receipt in the original box.

I think it was around the $100 AU mark. You can take a look at the prices and compare with your own currency using the converter.

Dick Smith EXHDD's Product Page : http://goo.gl/1DoBf

XE Currency Converter : http://goo.gl/mdIxu

As for the 320GB, No idea as it was given to me.

McLovin said:
what if the BOTH hard drives crash? I am slightly more confident that Dropbox will crash less then a hard drive. My own opinion. Thanks.

I have a higher chance of getting hit by lightning before that ever happens, It's better not to jinx it! :)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
MrXidus said:
I got my 1TB EXHDD from a store called Dick Smith. Can't remember what I paid exactly, I have the receipt in the original box.

I think it was around the $100 AU mark. You can take a look at the prices and compare with your own currency using the converter.

Dick Smith EXHDD's Product Page : http://goo.gl/1DoBf

XE Currency Converter : http://goo.gl/mdIxu

As for the 320GB, No idea as it was given to me.

Dick Smith is a great place to get computer stuff, kinda where I got the computer I'm currently using.

Nikos

Jul 19, 2012
Guys when we upload our personal family photos to cloud storage such as dropbox which iam also currently using should we upload photos as raw .jpg files or is it better to place all our photos to a zip file and then password protet it and then upload it to dropbox?

This way even if someone access our cloud storage he wont be able to see our persoanl photos.

Do you aggree with that idea?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Nikos said:
Guys when we upload our personal family photos to cloud storage such as dropbox which iam also currently using should we upload photos as raw .jpg files or is it better to place all our photos to a zip file and then password protet it and then upload it to dropbox?

This way even if someone access our cloud storage he wont be able to see our persoanl photos.

Do you aggree with that idea?

Well, for the photos and what not I upload to a .zipx which compresses the file much better then a standard .zip file.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Nikos said:
Do you also password protect the zipx?

No, because I've made sure only I can access it, but it can be done.

Nikos

Jul 19, 2012
But isnt this hard when you want to share a photo contained in the zip file with others? since the photo you want to share is in the zip file how you give a perosn a link to view the specific photo?

Iam just trying to understand if its better to upload as jpg or zip.....

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Well it all depends on whether you just want them to view it or to save and download the pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.