Melen1717 config

Windows Edition
Home
User Access Control
Never notify (disabled)
Real-time security
AVIRA Free... GlassWire Network Security... Wins 7 firewall
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebytes Free... SuperAnti Spyware Free... ADWcleaner... Spyware Blaster... TDSSkiller...
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox...
Maintenance tools
Ccleaner

melen1717

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 12, 2016
Hi...
I would like to know the opinion of a few of you guys concerning WinPatrol Free and GlassWireNetwork (firewall) Security Free. What is the difference between them and which would be more important and recommended as a security tool ??? I currently have GlassWire on my PC.

Thanks, George

S

Smith83

GlassWire was a headache for me, caused internet outage can't remember what it was. But I wound up getting a registry key from my other machine. Not to say this will happen to all users, but I only installed it and BOOM no internet for me. That was without changing a single setting, internet was just gone soon after my first reboot with the program installed.

REDBEARD1

Level 1
Mar 7, 2016
Hi...
I would like to know the opinion of a few of you guys concerning WinPatrol Free and GlassWireNetwork (firewall) Security Free. What is the difference between them and which would be more important and recommended as a security tool ??? I currently have GlassWire on my PC.

Thanks, George
I have had both on 7 & 10 with no problems. I went with paid WP years ago, I like the additional info.

Mod Edit: Removed all caplock.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Noxx

I honestly couldn't tell if Glasswire was doing anything. More like a "monitor" than anything else. Then again, I only used the free version and its features were severely limited. Anyways, I recommend turning UAC on and consider a basic adblocker. Plenty to choose from: ADGUARD (my personal favorite), uBlock Origin, AdBlockPlus, Ad Muncher, etc.

Reactions: milas and mal1

generalwu

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
Isn't WinPatrol a HIPS that monitors a certain part of Windows OS while Glasswire is a firewall control & monitor?

I'm using WInPatrol and it monitors Windows Registry and startup entries (For the free version that is).

You can use both if you want. :cool:

milas

Level 2
Verified
Mar 1, 2016
I've got the paid version of GlassWire that I have been running for months. Starting to think it's using alot of resources so I am keeping my eye on that.. It is a pretty good Firewall . IMO. The paid version you have more control/options then with the free version. It also is better to set the Firewall to Ask to Connect. And GW will scan your traffic letting you know if its clean or not.

I have never tried WP.

Nice setup Melen1717 :)

Last edited:

Razor555

Level 5
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
I've got the paid version of GlassWire that I have been running for months. Starting to think it's using alot of resources so I am keeping my eye on that.. It is a pretty good Firewall . IMO. The paid version you have more control/options then with the free version. It also is better to set the Firewall to Ask to Connect. And GW will scan your traffic letting you know if its clean or not.

I have never tried WP.

Nice setup Melen1717 :)

Can you post an example of what the activation serial key looks like? I am trying to crack it... xD

Reactions: milas
H

hjlbx

WinPatrol is a HIPS that monitors and alerts to specific changes on your system.

GlassWire is a graphical firewall with basic Allow\Block functionality.

WinPatrol will add more to your system security if you learn how it functions and what it is reporting to you.

Reactions: milas and Overkill

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Only thing what I can see is possibly get an Adblocker as everyone dislikes adds at times, and turn on UAC. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.